Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows-7 installation questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    if you are comfortable playing with your Master boot record and wont have a heart attack when your system gives you just a black DOS screen, if you did something wrong and you can get it back to flashy windows screen without getting a heart attack, you can try it.

i told u right, that i don't want to play around. just asking for the best (read safest) way to have both W7 & XP on this laptop..

the best way... u need to install XP first and then install Win7 on a different partition.

Another best way, use Windows XP in VMware player inside windows 7 and you can use both without doing anything with your partitions or master boot record.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    the best way... u need to install XP first and then install Win7 on a different partition..
    back 2 square one - How?

As Jelson said, get a backup.

After you are done with backup, get a windows XP CD. boot your system with Windows CD and install windows XP on it. It will need a full format of your HDD. If you got just one partition, divide into two at-least. I normally go for 3 or 4 partitions.

Now install XP on C partition. After you are finished with XP, just install Windows 7 on any drive like D or E either by booting using your windows 7 DVD or by directly running the setup.exe from the DVD from inside Windows XP.

This is method one in the tutorial link I gave in my previous reply. Hope it doesnt bring you back to square one.

I haven't read the article provided by avi but i have dual booted xp and win 7. You can safely try it. In my case i have installed xp first and then win 7. I guess its the preferred method.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I haven't read the article provided by avi but i have dual booted xp and win 7. You can safely try it. In my case i have installed xp first and then win 7. I guess its the preferred method.
    yes it is the preferred method but grr wanted it the other way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12