Thread: FBVPN Giveaway : Discussion and Review/ feedback

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thank you for the feedback Texaco.

Other members have showed significant speed loss as well. However, you have to take into account which server(s) you are connecting to. If the FBVPN server is close, you won't show much signs of slowdown unless they do indeed cap the speed. If the server you run through is in a different country or is a good distance from you, loosing speed is inevitable simply because you have to run through their FBVPN server first before actually connecting to other servers. If the distance you have to travel before reaching your desired FBVPN is great, then it will show signs of slowdown. ( you can verify this by determining which FBVPN server you run through, then by using your normal ISP, do a ping test to that server or a server located in the same area as the FBVPBN and you'll notice that the ping test should show your ping and download and upload speeds to be similar). This is something FBVPN has no control over.

If you notice in Texaco's post, the server he pings to determine his speed in the first test (which shows 24 Mbps Download speed) is New Jersey, which is less than 100 miles where his computer is. The second test shows his ping to be much slower at 2.8 Mbps but if you notice he is pinging LA, California which from New Jersey is approximately 2,856 miles away from the first server ping test. This example shows that the further away your proxy is, the slower your ping will be.

One must ponder speed vs. security and which is most important for the current task you are performing.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12-09-11 at 09:29 AM.

Hi Jeremy,

Yes you are correct they are different servers and distance apart from each other so I retested my speed to the same server I was using with FBVPN with. This speed test is without using the FBVPN service. This is my normal connection to the same server across the country in Los Angeles, Here is the result

Attachment 340

so as you can see, it is slower than the original speed of the server in New Jersey but still a considerable slowdown. from 15 to 2mbits

Also, the server I was using through FBVPN was in Los Angeles, CA. The same location as the speed test was performed on
    Last edited by TeXaCo; 12-09-11 at 09:40 AM.