Thread: Thunderbird and Avira Mailguard help needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi avibky,

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, SSL/TSL encryption is "on" in Thunderbird. Ain't it unsafe to not use SSL/TSL..? I have read somewhere in google that even Avast asks to disable SSL/TSL encryption also. Personally I have encountered that in Opera when i was using it as an email client when I cannot connect properly to Gmail.

Well that's another part/question I'd like to ask there, Do you guys use SSL/TSL encryption when using an email client..?

Is is safe to disable that?

Well, it's good to feel that the resident AV scans all emails but when SSL/TSL encryption disabled leaves the transport of the password and the messages un-encrypted therefore unsafe...correct..?

Any ideas to enlighten me please....which do you prefer:

a. use SSL/TSL encryption without AV email scanning
    b. disable SSL/TSL encryption and let the AV scan all emails.

Anyway, I have disabled SSL/TSL in Thunderbird and observing now. Outgoing mail was blocked by MailGuard because it was using STARTTLS. Thunderbird will not send outgoing email "if" STARTTLS is disabled. The only option was to disable outgoing emails scans in MailGuard.

Also when SSL/TSL is disabled and Avira MailGuard is "on" Thunderbird reports "An error occurred in POP3 Mail server. Mail server pop.googlemail.com responded" when SSL/TSL is disabled. It will "not" connect to Gmail server properly.

When SSL/TSL is enabled all is okay. But Avira MailGuard is doing nothing(inactive).

Any opinions...? Any work around you guys know that I can use and try out...?

Thank you
    Last edited by damien; 06-01-12 at 08:31 PM.