Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you would stick to Windows XP and not upgrade to Windows 7

Smile Why you would stick to Windows XP and not upgrade to Windows 7

Starting this thread to talk about reasons , why you would like to stick to windows XP instead of upgrading to Windows 7 .

Right now I am sticking to Windows XP now the reason in short Everything doesnt run on the fly in windows 7 as it does in windows XP.

Another Reason, I hate the search function in Windows 7. Cant find even a single file with it.

I like XP better than any OS, tried a beta version of Vista recently (from a friends old beta copy, removed it)

I also used Vista at my office while i was a tech support exec, Aero feature was nice.

But Vista didnt convince me to abandon XP. You cant beat XP, it simply rockzzz. Simple and sweet :-)

Wont upgrade to Win 7 for the same reason as mentioned above. Although if it comes pre installed on a new PC, will use it.

@Avinash: Every softwares runs perfectly in Windows 7, provided you just need to install it in a compatibility mode. Even the video cutter, ChopperXP which was designed only for XP runs perfectly in Windows 7.

For me windows 7 resolves a crash in minutes, but XP at most of the times left it hanged so that i have to restart my PC again.

@ashwin: Beta of vista is nothing to be compared to windows 7. Everybody knows vista is buggy, and its natural that its beta is more buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by kavin View Post
    @ashwin: Beta of vista is nothing to be compared to windows 7. Everybody knows vista is buggy, and its natural that its beta is more buggy.
    I know that beta is buggy, but i have also mentioned that i used Vista at my office. :-)

It was Vista Ultimate OEM

@Avinash: Every softwares runs perfectly in Windows 7, provided you just need to install it in a compatibility mode. Even the video cutter, ChopperXP which was designed only for XP runs perfectly in Windows 7.

For me windows 7 resolves a crash in minutes, but XP at most of the times left it hanged so that i have to restart my PC again.
    As i run this forum and blog, I need to do a lot of software testing before I write something. Atleast I need to install the application and run it for some time atleast. That's when I find its not as good as XP and everything doesnt run on the fly.

Yes I do know that almost most of the apps run well on Windows 7, but still its not 100%.

Another thing as i said before, I hate the search function of Windows 7. May be none of you ever tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    As i run this forum and blog, I need to do a lot of software testing before I write something. Atleast I need to install the application and run it for some time atleast. That's when I find its not as good as XP and everything doesnt run on the fly.
    I accept this concept. But you could have used XP in VM instead because its the best way of testing out stuffs.

Yes I do know that almost most of the apps run well on Windows 7, but still its not 100%.
    Some apps did fail to install in 7. Its a problem if you happen to use that exact ones.

Another thing as i said before, I hate the search function of Windows 7. May be none of you ever tried it.
    I never have to try it, because i have to USE it instead.
    Its much different from XP's. And i accept that its little tougher to use at first go. But you would feel pleased with you when you keep on using it.

I accept this concept. But you could have used XP in VM instead because its the best way of testing out stuffs.
    You cant test everything with VM, the reason the drivers of actual hardware are not loaded there and its not a real testing environment. Its a virtual environment. If something runs on VM, thats no guarantee it will run on actual machine.

I never have to try it, because i have to USE it instead.
    Its much different from XP's. And i accept that its little tougher to use at first go. But you would feel pleased with you when you keep on using it.
    As i said before, I do a lot of testing and I deal with loads of files. So I need to find files, folders etc based on so many parameters like file size, modification, some text inside file and other advance parameters. At that point, its very difficult to define these advance parameters.

The search function or overall Windows 7 is for average users with advance options either put OFF or removed or deep hidden inside.

Hmm. Then its up to you.

I stuck with XP when Vista came out with so many complaints from users. Even after Vista matured somewhat, it still didn't appeal to me. Windows 7 has, in my opinion, turned out to be a "horse of a different color". I was impressed enough with the RC that I decided to build another machine dedicated to the OS. (I'd evaluated the RC in VM on an XP box) As a member of MS Technet, I d/l 32-bit Win 7 Ultimate to install on the new computer.

Since the build, I have been slowly turning over production duties to the new box. I also continue to run a production XP machine next to it, and switch back and forth as needed. It will take time to get everything just right, but so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldElmerFudd View Post
    I stuck with XP when Vista came out with so many complaints from users. Even after Vista matured somewhat, it still didn't appeal to me. Windows 7 has, in my opinion, turned out to be a "horse of a different color". I was impressed enough with the RC that I decided to build another machine dedicated to the OS. (I'd evaluated the RC in VM on an XP box) As a member of MS Technet, I d/l 32-bit Win 7 Ultimate to install on the new computer.

Since the build, I have been slowly turning over production duties to the new box. I also continue to run a production XP machine next to it, and switch back and forth as needed. It will take time to get everything just right, but so far, I'm pretty happy with it.
    Finally good to see someone on my side. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast