Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Security Essentials 2010" Fake Antivirus

"Security Essentials 2010" Fake Antivirus

A lot of people probably know that there are rogue software that claims to be security applications.
    The "newest" is trying to take the name of Microsoft Security Essentials and try to fool the users.

Furthermore, it also downloads and installs a Win32/Alureon component, and another Layered Service Provider (LSP) component, also detected as Trojan:Win32/Fakeinit.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7...keinitscan.png

Code:
    http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2010/02/24/if-it-calls-itself-security-essentials-2010-then-it-s-possibly-fake-innit.aspx

Another fake security software is USBcillin, which claims to protect your from virus attacks due to Removable media.

But practically it itself is a virus code. Just always stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by kavin View Post
    Another fake security software is USBcillin, which claims to protect your from virus attacks due to Removable media.

But practically it itself is a virus code. Just always stay away from it.

Why dont people stick to AVG,Avira,Avast or Panda Cloud? Why do they keep looking for new free Antivirus apps?

Just stay away from bogus softwares, if in doubt just head over to cnet or softpedia and check the reviews before installing stuff.

Problem is these Fake AV are installed on their own by misleading the users through malicious web pages etc and obviously no reviews you an find about them except instructions on how to remove them.

People should start learning how to browse the web safely

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Problem is these Fake AV are installed on their own by misleading the users through malicious web pages etc and obviously no reviews you an find about them except instructions on how to remove them.

People should start learning how to browse the web safely
    Agreed mate,good that we MBAM to resolve with such kinds of scarewares and roguewares.But basic knowledge of security should always prevail for everyone surfing the net.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by vivek View Post
    Agreed mate,good that we MBAM to resolve with such kinds of scarewares and roguewares.But basic knowledge of security should always prevail for everyone surfing the net.
    I have no idea about the realtime protection of MBAM, But are you sure it blocks all malicious content? Does MBAM pro have HIPS ability? Try spyware blaster, it immunizes your browsers against thousands of blacklisted websites. This way you can be sure you dont get into mailious sites Its free, but you need to update it manually. Use Firefox, or one of its clones (Cometbird, Seamonkey, Iceweasel or Flock) and install WOT or PC tools Browser Defender. Browser Defender scans the website and tells you if a webpage is safe or not. We can also see Browser defender's icon at the end of google's links in search results. WOT is different, it depends on visitor's ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    I have no idea about the realtime protection of MBAM, But are you sure it blocks all malicious content? Does MBAM pro have HIPS ability? Try spyware blaster, it immunizes your browsers against thousands of blacklisted websites. This way you can be sure you dont get into mailious sites Its free, but you need to update it manually. Use Firefox, or one of its clones (Cometbird, Seamonkey, Iceweasel or Flock) and install WOT or PC tools Browser Defender. Browser Defender scans the website and tells you if a webpage is safe or not. We can also see Browser defender's icon at the end of google's links in search results. WOT is different, it depends on visitor's ratings.
    Ashwin,
    After Avinash gifted me MBAM pro,I immediately installed it and found it extremely helpful.No clue if it has HIPS ability or not,but good news it does block malicious IP ,definitely sure about it.I definitely will check out Browser Defender and spyware blaster as you say,WOT is good but no protection

Trust me friend many say you need only a dedicated Internet security along with secondary scanner,i.e. MBAM pro[first choice] or/and SAS pro.

BTW I wish you all the best for Wilderssecurity forum giveaway,hope you win MBAM Pro since the license is for lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by vivek View Post
    Ashwin,
    After Avinash gifted me MBAM pro,I immediately installed it and found it extremely helpful.No clue if it has HIPS ability or not,but good news it does block malicious IP ,definitely sure about it.I definitely will check out Browser Defender and spyware blaster as you say,WOT is good but no protection

Trust me friend many say you need only a dedicated Internet security along with secondary scanner,i.e. MBAM pro[first choice] or/and SAS pro.

BTW I wish you all the best for Wilderssecurity forum giveaway,hope you win MBAM Pro since the license is for lifetime
    Thanks for the wishes Vivek , winning that wont be easy with a hundred thousand participants

I already have a legal license of SAS pro on one of my PCs, bought it last month.
    I wanted to buy Spyware doctor, but my friend insisted that we buy SAS since it has a lifetime license.
    SAS pro doesnt block IPs, but is excellent at removing spyware and provides real time protection.
    I recently upgraded the current pro version to the latest beta version 4.90.1018 :-)

Im looking for MBAM for my other PC,.
    Although it is a bit more expensive than SAS, MBAM costs 1200rs.
    SAS pro costs 9.95 $, or approximatley 500 rs for us.
    Due to recent Paypal confusion in India, i asked my friend's brother in the US to buy it and send the license to my email.
    I paid my friend in cash :-)

I did a small research on MBAM and found people complaining about IP blocking.
    It blocks GAOD.com and many legal sites. Can you confirm this? Just visit GAOTD and see if it is blocked by MBAM
    And i do not beleive MBAM has HIPS ability, take a look at this.

• Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).
    • Light speed quick scanning.
    • Ability to perform full scans for all drives.
    • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Protection Module. (requires registration)
    • Database updates released daily.
    • Quarantine to hold threats and restore them at your convenience.
    • Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module.
    • Settings to enhance your Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware performance.
    • A small list of extra utilities to help remove malware manually.
    • Multi-lingual support.
    • Works together with other anti-malware utilities.
    • Command line support for quick scanning.
    • Context menu integration to scan files on demand.

Browser Defender is better than WOT, but i use both. After all , they are just add-ons for FF.
    Even if WOT doesnt have ratings for a website, Browser Defender will scan the web page for maliciuos content and warn you.
    Remember spyware blaster is not real-time protection, just a tool with which we can immunize browsers.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Thanks for the wishes Vivek , winning that wont be easy with a hundred thousand participants

I already have a legal license of SAS pro on one of my PCs, bought it last month.
    I wanted to buy Spyware doctor, but my friend insisted that we buy SAS since it has a lifetime license.
    SAS pro doesnt block IPs, but is excellent at removing spyware and provides real time protection.
    I recently upgraded the current pro version to the latest beta version 4.90.1018 :-)

Im looking for MBAM for my other PC,.
    Although it is a bit more expensive than SAS, MBAM costs 1200rs.
    SAS pro costs 9.95 $, or approximatley 500 rs for us.
    Due to recent Paypal confusion in India, i asked my friend's brother in the US to buy it and send the license to my email.
    I paid my friend in cash :-)

I did a small research on MBAM and found people complaining about IP blocking.
    It blocks GAOD.com and many legal sites. Can you confirm this? Just visit GAOTD and see if it is blocked by MBAM
    And i do not beleive MBAM has HIPS ability, take a look at this.

• Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).
    • Light speed quick scanning.
    • Ability to perform full scans for all drives.
    • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Protection Module. (requires registration)
    • Database updates released daily.
    • Quarantine to hold threats and restore them at your convenience.
    • Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module.
    • Settings to enhance your Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware performance.
    • A small list of extra utilities to help remove malware manually.
    • Multi-lingual support.
    • Works together with other anti-malware utilities.
    • Command line support for quick scanning.
    • Context menu integration to scan files on demand.

Browser Defender is better than WOT, but i use both. After all , they are just add-ons for FF.
    Even if WOT doesnt have ratings for a website, Browser Defender will scan the web page for maliciuos content and warn you.
    Remember spyware blaster is not real-time protection, just a tool with which we can immunize browsers.
    I just visited GAOD.com,No the IP wasn't blocked by MBAM!Just like I said HIPS absence in MBAM was unknown to me.I actually use OPERA browser 10.50,so I guess FF addons won't do for me unless I use FF.I did try trial Spyware doctor from PC Tools but after I used it,the process just won't stop scanning,manual switching off was the only to exit it.Maybe PC Tools Internet Security is much better.

Yes spyware doctor is not up to the mark. The paid version comes with an antivirus.

Since i already have premium antivirus apps on both PCs, i decided Superantispyware was worth much more than this and bought it.

Check this out, IP blocking by MBAM:
    Code:
    http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/forums/topic/7159

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast