Thread: A few Windows 7 tips

A few Windows 7 tips

Just a few things I learned in Windows 7.

1. If you want to see a more classic view in Windows 7, go to Control Pannel, in there you see category view in the upper left, simply switch to large icons or small icons and you get a more "classic list". So many people could not figure out how to do this understandably since it really doesn't say, classic view.

2. Holding down left ctrl button and using middle scroll wheel on desktop will resize icons.

3. I found Hibernate was taking up the same amount of room on my hard drive as the install so I found two ways to disable it, either go to power options, expand the sleep and hibernate, set to 0, which turns it to never. Or open a command box but first right click it and run it as Administrator and type in powercfg -h off , hit enter, done.

4. Another issue I've noticed, using a Linksys Network Everywhere 4 port wired router, when attaching either a Vista or Windows 7 machine, it tends to shut the router off to all connections. It happens every time I hook a Vista or Win7 PC to my network, likely due to my Linksys but regardless, here is what I quickly found to do... Go to control pannel, Network and sharing center, click on the little house network icon between the globe and PC and view what's there. If you see the device listed under the workgroups, like mine is nro41 under the network infrastructure title, right click on it and choose ENABLE. It may be whatever computer you hooked last but check them all if you can't get a connection.

5. Speaking of the network, if you want the icon on your desktop, right click your desktop, choose personalize, then on the upper left choose change icons, and you can pick which icons you want to show on the desktop.

6. When you open a folder or sub folder, if you click organize in the upper left, choose layout, you can create a preview pane on the right which comes in handy.

7. You can choose a standard path look in the path bar in a folder. Here is an example...

See the little icon on the left? Yours may differ since I have a theme going but anyway, click on it...
    http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...2-07002002.png

You now have the full path instead This comes in handy if you need to copy the path for any reason.
    http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...2-07002014.png

Re: A few Windows 7 tips

Quite useful tips you got there, although i learnt these during my tech support days, (these work on vista too).

I was unfamiliar with tip number 4, maybe it was because most people use Netgear or Bellkin. Each has its own known issues

Anyway thanks for pointing the Linksys issue and the resolution, it may come in handy

Avinash Guest

thanks for the tips.

Making it sticky, More Windows 7 tips can be added here.:P

Thanks. Some of them are basic but it's surprising how many users don't know about them so keeping it basic. I have other tips but of course anything for power users will find someone to argue about not using them, like UAC so I felt it better not to post power user type hints.

Thanks for the tips Paul. Those network tips are very useful to me, as I have no experience with it.

I've just bought a laptop with win7(still use xp with desktop) and some of these tips came in handy.
    As I'm a Win7 newbie please feel free to post more

Thnks fr the tip!!