Thread: Hard drive issue.

Hard drive issue.

K.. so recently been having an issue with a portable hard drive i have had, I have it split into 2 partitions and one of them is giving me issues. I sent tosh an email and hopefully they will reply, but figured see if anyone here might have a idea as well.. this is what I sent them:

The problem I have been having recently is that windows is not wanting to read one of the partitions. I split it into a 600gb and a 400gb partitions. The cable seemed to be coming loose from the laptop and it would go in and out. Well, recently it would come up saying that I had to format the partition in order to use it. For a while, unplugging it and plugging it back in fixed it. But, then it has stopped working. I had to format it a few times in order to get it to work but then after rebooting my machine, it would go back to the same problems. I have ran check disk and all of the tools to check it and it comes up with no errors when I use my partition program. But now, when I try to check it, it wont work.

The error message I get when I try to access it is:

You must first format the disk in drive N: before you can use it (format or cancel)

then

N:\ is not accessible
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

and that is it. When i right click on the partition and go to Tools and then try and click check now for Error-Checking, I get the message:

The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk.
    Any ideas??

Zug, looks like some serious problem with the HD. You tried doing a low level format? rember to backup your data before you try that as it may remain unaccessible even after that. backup or recover your files on the disk if you can using recovery tools.

Low level format should work if its not a hardware issue and everything have failed to correct the problem. If low level format too fails, that simply means, your hard disk is not usable anymore.

pretty sure i have tried.. i know i have done quick and normal.. will use my partition program and see if it will do the format and see.. but yeh.. have the bad feeling that it messed up.. wierd part is the other partition on it works fine.. so seems odd that 1 partition works yet the other doesnt if the drive itself was bad/damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    pretty sure i have tried.. i know i have done quick and normal.. will use my partition program and see if it will do the format and see.. but yeh.. have the bad feeling that it messed up.. wierd part is the other partition on it works fine.. so seems odd that 1 partition works yet the other doesnt if the drive itself was bad/damaged.
    Weird-True. This might be a special case where 1 partition is having multiple bad sectors and could not be formatted/read.
    If it is under warranty get a replacement..

yeah.. i am waiting on Tosh to reply.. i even tried Formatting it with EASEUS part man... it saw my partition.. saw that there was data on it.. however, windows wont.. i was able to format it through EASUS, but when it goes to update windows, windows in a sense is "rejecting" it and then it comes back to Easus as Unformatted... so, i am guessing that just that part of the drive is damaged beyond repair and the first half is ok..hopefully they will send me one out before i have to send this one.. if i do.. but my guess is they will want the drive and see what they can do and replace if needed

A last resort, try formatting using some Linux OS or a Linux Live CD. May work sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    yeah.. i am waiting on Tosh to reply.. i even tried Formatting it with EASEUS part man... it saw my partition.. saw that there was data on it.. however, windows wont.. i was able to format it through EASUS, but when it goes to update windows, windows in a sense is "rejecting" it and then it comes back to Easus as Unformatted... so, i am guessing that just that part of the drive is damaged beyond repair and the first half is ok..hopefully they will send me one out before i have to send this one.. if i do.. but my guess is they will want the drive and see what they can do and replace if needed

My friend had same trouble with his 1.5Tb Segate. Windows XP as well as W7 used to say, FORMAT....

final option-retrieve data & get replacement