Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows-7 installation questions

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    The only 'supported' way to accomplish this is to always install the older OS i.e. Windows XP first.

That being said, it's still possible to accomplish this.

Take a look at the following tutorial. Please read the entire article first to get up to speed with the issues and then use Method Two to install XP.

Keep in mind, if you do something wrong, everything will be lost.
    Very nice tutorial link there. Many thanks!

Probably won't ever try it, but it's good stuff to know.

the best way... u need to install XP first and then install Win7 on a different partition.

Another best way, use Windows XP in VMware player inside windows 7 and you can use both without doing anything with your partitions or master boot record.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    the best way... u need to install XP first and then install Win7 on a different partition..
    back 2 square one - How?

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    i told u right, that i don't want to play around. just asking for the best (read safest) way to have both W7 & XP on this laptop..
    Well, you can probably guess what I'm about to say.

Step 0 (before Step 1) is get a solid image backup of your laptop's HD. If it was my laptop, I'd do a partition image of the system partition and also do a drive image (to get a backup of all the partitions including the recovery partition).

Do this before you even think about anything else. The first thing I do when I get a new machine is create an "As-Shipped" image. That way, if I screw something up... no need to reinstall, activate and all that... just Restore and I get machine back just the way it was at the beginning.

Of course, it helps to make periodic images of when your machine is just right... so you don't have to start fresh and redo everything.

On that note, I also suggest keeping an install log where note all the system changes and app installations you do so you know:
    • what you did
    • when you did it
    • how you did it
    • and include links to reference articles and how--to's.

I learned this lesson the hard way before. For example:

"I remember reading how to install Nero without all the bloat-ware and disable that *@#$! Nero Scout crap... but where did I find those instructions?????"

"Now, which codecs did I load and in what order to get all my apps to play nice together????"

The list goes on and on and it can get really hairy when you're talking about BIOS and chipset updates and other low-level tinkering. An install log helps a lot and can be quite useful in troubleshooting down the road.

Good luck and happy adventuring... that done, you're ready to embark on whatever "Step 1" you choose.

P.S. Personally, I'm inclined to Avi's suggestion: virtualize XP. Since you've got W7 Pro, it includes a pre-licensed virtual copy of XP: XP Mode. MS is supporting it until 2014 when XP support ends. One nice feature is that you can "publish" any 32-bit app you install in XP Mode to your W7 desktop as a stand-alone app. I played with this only briefly during my short flirtation with Windows 7

My plan is to do a full-blown virtualization of XP when I get a W7 machine. I'm currently planning on going with VirtualBox but Avi's blog article about VMware Player has me considering that possibility since it's free too... at least for now... & probably is a direct response to the increasing popularity and power of VirtualBox.
    Last edited by jelson; 16-01-11 at 12:51 PM.

As Jelson said, get a backup.

After you are done with backup, get a windows XP CD. boot your system with Windows CD and install windows XP on it. It will need a full format of your HDD. If you got just one partition, divide into two at-least. I normally go for 3 or 4 partitions.

Now install XP on C partition. After you are finished with XP, just install Windows 7 on any drive like D or E either by booting using your windows 7 DVD or by directly running the setup.exe from the DVD from inside Windows XP.

This is method one in the tutorial link I gave in my previous reply. Hope it doesnt bring you back to square one.

I haven't read the article provided by avi but i have dual booted xp and win 7. You can safely try it. In my case i have installed xp first and then win 7. I guess its the preferred method.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I haven't read the article provided by avi but i have dual booted xp and win 7. You can safely try it. In my case i have installed xp first and then win 7. I guess its the preferred method.
    yes it is the preferred method but grr wanted it the other way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12