Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting BSOD on Installing XP; STOP 0000007B

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    How
    Just use msconfig command.

Start>>Run>>msconfig. In window that opens, just go to boot option. There you can see the entries and remove the non functional one. I am attaching a screenshot

Attachment 144

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post

He wanted to install XP on a laptop which had Win7 pre-installed. He followed some steps given at another forum to install XP.
    It should have removed Win7, but it showed Win7 exists.
    I see, thanks for the link btw

"It should have removed Win7, but it showed Win7 exists"
    Alright haven't followed this story but guess it must been something wrong with the old preinstalled copy as he tried make a reinstall or more like "clean install" as it looks to me.

If make a new clean install it can have the consequence that it destroy the entry for reaching additional options like in this case the recovery partition. So that's one of the risks by doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Whenever you install Windows it creates an MBR, in this case, XP created one, and Win7 created another.

So it must show only 2 options XP and Win7. the third one could be the system recovery partition
    Yes, how it shows the entries on screen can be a bit unpredictable as there is three different stages 1. The first preinstalled stage, 2. Win XP setup and Win 7 setup.
    All of these has tried to create their own entry to fit what they believe is correct.

Edit:
    We mentioned different stages here before and perhaps it would explain some more if also telling that Windows installers often want to rule by dominance.
    Particularly when it comes to write to MBR. I'm sorry I didn't thought about warn Grr for losing the important recovery entry when make a new Win7 install. I don't run that kind of things myself so it became forgotten of accident.

Often these files are saved inside the System Reserved partition next to Windows 7 bootloader BootMGR so there may be a good place to look for it.
    Beyond the file-level all this is based on searchways and paths that has to point correctly. Systems with System reserved partition has usually C: for the System Reserved partition, it's kind of chainloaded in to the system where to start next (Usually Vista & Win7 ).

Finally it's also based on code which collaborate with path's and files (BCD store).
    It is there EasyBCD will do it's job in help it up in describe what's behind the text on the first screen in Win7 boot manager when the computer starts up so it can become edited.
    If lucky, it may show the way to the recovery partition and it files.
    BootMGR for operating systems like Vista & Win7, ntldr for XP together with boot.ini .

Let's say the first Win7 partition became deleted, even that's the case the entry in the boot manager will be there IF the boot manager is installed on a second partition like System Reserved which is invisible from inside Windows. But it should be black screen if also this partition has been deleted and nothing exists on the disk. In some cases the boot manager has been installed with Windows inside the same partition and should therefor become deleted together if wipe it all out but normally, default is when install Windows on a clean disk it wants to create a second boot partition side by side with the system partition.

As it looks like now, it would be clever to fishing up and trace where the recovery entrance is. (Edit: see above)
    That depends if the first BCD store was saved inside System Reserved and this one hasn't become deleted by the first instance. It might have been changed from the second Win7 setup in that case but the code would be left somewhere. Like I see it..This BCD store have not been replaced by a new one orelse this third entry should never exist on the screen.
    In speak of the XP entry, it's only chainloaded from BootMGR in the System Reserved partition which is the bootloader on first screen.

It's normally the XP entry is shown in this first list of entries and should be left behind if it works
    Last edited by Emil; 26-01-11 at 07:04 PM.

I too had a sata drive but i installed xp without any problems. Check if your bios has ide compitability mode if so enable it . It should work fine no slipstreaming .OR if you purchased a sata drive you should have got the sata drivers in a floppy disk, during installation it will ask if you want to add any 3rd party scsi driver click yes and it will scan the floppy and get the drivers

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

just check for faults on your ram stick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12