Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting BSOD on Installing XP; STOP 0000007B

Exclamation Getting BSOD on Installing XP; STOP 0000007B

I have a new Windows 7 laptop VPCEB33FM/BJ.
    I want to have the dual boot with XP.

Current Config on Laptop:
    W7 PRO 64-bit
    Only C: partition
    Rest everything is factory default

I have XP CD & while trying to install XP I get the Blue Screen:
    STOP 0000007B
    0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

#1: I scanned with KIS2011 & it reported no infections.

#2: There is only 1 HDD with C: having factory default Windows 7 installed. There are no other partitions.
    #3: The BIOS is Ami Aptio Setup Utility Copyright 2008 American megatrends Inc
    Version 1.28.1119. And it does not have any setting to disable SATA
    #4: I do not have external floppy drive

My findings say I require SATA drivers to install XP & then slipstream it in XP CD.

Questions:
    1. Is my finding the right step
    2. where to get SATA drivers

Appreciate your quick help.

Thanks,
    Grr

[lang=pl]Być może Twój XP CD nie ma ostatniego Service Pack...
    Spróbuj może utworzyć nowy XP CD - np. za pomocą nLite - dodając do płyty instalacyjnej SP3... może to pomoże

Powodzenia![/lang]

Post Watch out for Windows boot manager

Does it look like this?

STOP 0x0000007B
    Inaccessible_Boot_Device

Yhea I think your assumption can be correct that the setup can't continue caused by missing Sata drivers for the harddisk.

Secondly, the path's in boot.ini can't be found during startup.

Slipstream Sata drivers with nLite should work or having the drivers on another media easy to reach during setup when asked.

A blue screen during setup can also be caused of insufficient cooling followed by overheating as a Windows setup normally need more activity of the hardware than under more daily easy use circumstances. If get blue screen during setup: 1. check inside the computer if it needs to be cleaned up inside from dust.
    2. Be sure that fan's & cooling works accordingly to keep the equipment cool enough.

There is also a quite big risk when make a secondly install of Windows XP after Windows Vista or Windows 7 - That will cause the Boot manager to disappear from the startup screen and the start alternatives with entries will be gone.

If this happens, just make a search online "how to reinstall Windows 7 bootloader" because that what need's to be done afterwords "if having bad luck" Make sure having the CD reachable for commands like Bootrec & Fixboot (Don't remember it exactly so check it up). Tools like the WinRE on the CD might work as well.

Don't worry, nobody has to reinstall Vista or Windows 7 just because of this as it is not necessary and only lot of extra work.
    Everything is where it should be and the system is fine on the harddisk.
    It is only the entries into Windows 7 and the bootloader that has to be repaired in MBR. Afterwords the boot manager will show up again and show the way in how to start your machine. When it's back, it's a good tip to install EasyBCD in Windows 7 to reorder all the start-entries for additional partitions and dual boot setups.

When wrote this post the bad luck striked me so this became my second attempt (lost all text)

BSOD occurs only if you are having issues with Hardware in terms of correct drivers from your OS.

Before I can answer , It would be better if you can clarify few things.

1. BSOD occured before the XP installation detected your Hard disks correctly? OR
    2. BSOD occured after the XP installation detected your Hard disks correctly?

MY gues sis, it occurred before the HDD detection and if that is the case , then you need to have correct SATA drives for your HDD for XP. You can integrate it with the XP cd. I can help you in doing that.

And if the BSOD occurred as in case 2, then we need to investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    BSOD occurs only if you are having issues with Hardware in terms of correct drivers from your OS.

Before I can answer , It would be better if you can clarify few things.

1. BSOD occured before the XP installation detected your Hard disks correctly? OR
    2. BSOD occured after the XP installation detected your Hard disks correctly?

MY gues sis, it occurred before the HDD detection and if that is the case , then you need to have correct SATA drives for your HDD for XP. You can integrate it with the XP cd. I can help you in doing that.

And if the BSOD occurred as in case 2, then we need to investigate further.

Well it was caz of SATA drivers. I could create XP-SATA Cd and installed XP. Also installed W7-64-bit.
    Though I faced problem going into cmd mode from W7-64-bit DVD as well as W7 Recovery CD. Finally had to boot from W7-32bit DVD, open cmd prompt, create partition. Then booted from 64-bit DVD & installed W7.

Now i have 3 entries in Boot Manager:
    Previous version [XP]
    W7 [working W7]
    W7 [non-working W7, if i select this option it goes into recovery mode, giving that language & keyboard selection window]

Another thing is that the Sony Vaio assist button is not taking me to the recovery option, though the recovery partition still exists on the HDD.

So, what next?

If you want you can remove the non working entry from your bootmanager from the working Win7 boot manager options.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    If you want you can remove the non working entry from your bootmanager from the working Win7 boot manager options.

How

EasyBCD

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

I don't understand Grr, why install Windows 7 when it already was installed?
    That is the reason why this new entry is visible between XP and your first Win7 setup.

In the question of reaching your Sony Vaio recovery option to the recovery partition, I think it can show up with the tool EasyBCD as this entry should be saved in the BCD store.
    That tool will also helping you to solve Windows 7 boot manager and all the Entries.
    Just delete what's unnecessary but don't forget to check what has been installed first in the name of new systems and partitions on the disk. Usually it is the latest setups that shows up among the entries on the screen because these setups overwrites the old bootrecord & bootsector and MBR with it's new code. There is just one strange thing that is the same as it also was in XP if talking about the boot manager, they still don't delete what shows up on the screen even what is behind of written code to entries has been change when make a new install over another or side by side in dual boot. That's why you got one more I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil View Post
    EasyBCD
    Here is the link to the homepage

I don't understand Grr, why install Windows 7 when it already was installed?
    That is the reason why this new entry is visible between XP and your first Win7 setup.
    He wanted to install XP on a laptop which had Win7 pre-installed. He followed some steps given at another forum to install XP.
    It should have removed Win7, but it showed Win7 exists.

In the question of reaching your Sony Vaio recovery option to the recovery partition, I think it can show up with the tool EasyBCD as this entry should be saved in the BCD store.
    That tool will also helping you to solve Windows 7 boot manager and all the Entries.
    Just delete what's unnecessary but don't forget to check what has been installed first in the name of new systems and partitions on the disk. Usually it is the latest setups that shows up among the entries on the screen because these setups overwrites the old bootrecord & bootsector and MBR with it's new code. There is just one strange thing that is the same as it also was in XP if talking about the boot manager, they still don't delete what shows up on the screen even what is behind of written code to entries has been change when make a new install over another or side by side in dual boot. That's why you got one more I think.
    Whenever you install Windows it creates an MBR, in this case, XP created one, and Win7 created another.

So it must show only 2 options XP and Win7. the third one could be the system recovery partition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast