Thread: RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE(spyware)

RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE(spyware)

Many programs like mediacoder and SUMO updater come bundled with a software called relevant knowledge. During installation of such programs a box like an EULA box comes which tells the user about the extra software(relevant knowledge) included. Many a times we tend to ignore this and continue the installation of the software. This software first come into light when i saw my uncles computer which had mediacoder.
    I checked the installed software and found relevant knowledge. Through some research I found it is a software which collects computer usage and user details to form an extensive profile database.
    It then displays user surveys and pop -up boxes. There is no way to skip relevant knowledge during installaton
    It is said it can be removed from add/remove programs in control panel. U can also use revo uninstaller to do so. Many antivirus flag this as a spyware or pup(potentially unwanted program)
    I would recommend that until very necessary do not install any progs bundled with relevant knowledge

Removal instructions:

Some info taken from ghacks.net

It depends on which version you download

SUMo Lite, KCleaner lite (the ones with RK crossed) does not come with Relevant Knowledge

SUMo Lite is Gizmo's top pick for Software Updater category

So its quite safe to use the lite versions.

In case you have Relevant Knowledge installed, simply un-install it from add/remove programs, although I would recommend to use to "Purge" your system

PS: Link to the Ghacks' article
    Last edited by Ashwin; 09-03-11 at 02:53 PM.

But KIS don't. It not even says it is a virus, it says it is a web toolbar and Symantec says nothing about it .

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    But KIS don't. It not even says it is a virus, it says it is a web toolbar and Symantec says nothing about it .
    No idea about that

A google search landed me an interesting thread at Malwarebytes forum, apparently MBAM detects/removes RK

PS: I see that the MBAM guys recommend running both KIS and MBAM (pro) at realtime.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post

PS: I see that the MBAM guys recommend running both KIS and MBAM (pro) at realtime.
    Both in realtime

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Both in realtime
    I am not sure though. Won't it slow down the computer?

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    I am not sure though. Won't it slow down the computer?

No...i used to have both

Relevant Knowledge indeed is a nasty and annoying spyware.