Thread: CRC error on copying files from a CD?

Question CRC error on copying files from a CD?

I was trying to copy Office XP and Office 2000 folders from my old CDs, but it gave me CRC errors.

Tried twice, but still the same error.

1. could CRC be avoided, so that I can copy the data
    2. is it a problem with CD. I tried 2 different CDs
    3. could it be a problem with CD-drive-- very new.

Thanks,
    Grr

Mostly its the CD issue if its scratched etc. You can copy it using a briefcase. Create a briefcase folder on your desktop etc and then copy into it. Whatever that can be copied will be copied.

Its not a CD rom issue normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Mostly its the CD issue if its scratched etc. You can copy it using a briefcase. Create a briefcase folder on your desktop etc and then copy into it. Whatever that can be copied will be copied.

Its not a CD rom issue normally.

OK, but still some files wouldn't b copied. And so I won;t b able to install it (Office XP and Office 2000).

The CDs don't have any scratches, very new. Never used.

Not a CD drive problem. As avi mentioned problem is with the CD. Try Isobuster its a good recovery software.

grr try to use the ncrc switch while copying

ie use cmd it will skip the crc check or use some zip software which can recover corrupt files prob virus corruption

Tried the following but no help:

Isobuster
    Alcohol

Looks like the new CD drive has trouble reading cd's

If you still have the old cd drive, connect it and try to read from it

If that's not possible take CDs to the local friendly computer shop and see if they have the same model CD drive and try accessing from that

Grr try copying stuffs from other cds or dvds. If it gets copied without any issues then the problem is with the cd else the problem can be a faulty cd/dvd writer or the problem can be the data bus which connects the cd/dvd writer.
    If the problem is with the cd and since Isobuster cant read it just throw it away coz if isobuster cant then nobody can. I guess the burn process was unsuccessful.
    If the problem is other then you better call the tech support guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Grr try copying stuffs from other cds or dvds. If it gets copied without any issues then the problem is with the cd else the problem can be a faulty cd/dvd writer or the problem can be the data bus which connects the cd/dvd writer.
    If the problem is with the cd and since Isobuster cant read it just throw it away coz if isobuster cant then nobody can. I guess the burn process was unsuccessful.
    If the problem is other then you better call the tech support guys.

Alpha- other CDs worked fine. Just 2 CDs giving me the trouble. Guess these CDs have some problem, especially with what I'm trying to copy.