Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Security Essentials 2010" Fake Antivirus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Security Essentials 2010" Fake Antivirus

A lot of people probably know that there are rogue software that claims to be security applications.
    The "newest" is trying to take the name of Microsoft Security Essentials and try to fool the users.

Furthermore, it also downloads and installs a Win32/Alureon component, and another Layered Service Provider (LSP) component, also detected as Trojan:Win32/Fakeinit.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7...keinitscan.png

Code:
    http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2010/02/24/if-it-calls-itself-security-essentials-2010-then-it-s-possibly-fake-innit.aspx

Another fake security software is USBcillin, which claims to protect your from virus attacks due to Removable media.

But practically it itself is a virus code. Just always stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by kavin View Post
    Another fake security software is USBcillin, which claims to protect your from virus attacks due to Removable media.

But practically it itself is a virus code. Just always stay away from it.

Why dont people stick to AVG,Avira,Avast or Panda Cloud? Why do they keep looking for new free Antivirus apps?

Just stay away from bogus softwares, if in doubt just head over to cnet or softpedia and check the reviews before installing stuff.

Problem is these Fake AV are installed on their own by misleading the users through malicious web pages etc and obviously no reviews you an find about them except instructions on how to remove them.

People should start learning how to browse the web safely

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Problem is these Fake AV are installed on their own by misleading the users through malicious web pages etc and obviously no reviews you an find about them except instructions on how to remove them.

People should start learning how to browse the web safely
    Agreed mate,good that we MBAM to resolve with such kinds of scarewares and roguewares.But basic knowledge of security should always prevail for everyone surfing the net.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by vivek View Post
    Agreed mate,good that we MBAM to resolve with such kinds of scarewares and roguewares.But basic knowledge of security should always prevail for everyone surfing the net.
    I have no idea about the realtime protection of MBAM, But are you sure it blocks all malicious content? Does MBAM pro have HIPS ability? Try spyware blaster, it immunizes your browsers against thousands of blacklisted websites. This way you can be sure you dont get into mailious sites Its free, but you need to update it manually. Use Firefox, or one of its clones (Cometbird, Seamonkey, Iceweasel or Flock) and install WOT or PC tools Browser Defender. Browser Defender scans the website and tells you if a webpage is safe or not. We can also see Browser defender's icon at the end of google's links in search results. WOT is different, it depends on visitor's ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Why dont people stick to AVG,Avira,Avast or Panda Cloud? Why do they keep looking for new free Antivirus apps?

Just stay away from bogus softwares, if in doubt just head over to cnet or softpedia and check the reviews before installing stuff.
    You missed somethings like Kaspersky, bitdefender which are my favourite.
    As Avinash said roguewares never invades normally. When you visit some sites, it just get itself downloaded and affects you. WOT may at times prove a best way to stay away from such sites.

Hmm. You can't stick to just one AV since trying out new stuffs is the key for any techie. For an info, i have all the security softwares you have mentioned, installed in my pc. Though they are in separate VM's.

Quote Originally Posted by kavin View Post
    You missed somethings like Kaspersky, bitdefender which are my favourite.
    As Avinash said roguewares never invades normally. When you visit some sites, it just get itself downloaded and affects you. WOT may at times prove a best way to stay away from such sites.

Hmm. You can't stick to just one AV since trying out new stuffs is the key for any techie. For an info, i have all the security softwares you have mentioned, installed in my pc. Though they are in separate VM's.

Hi Kavin, i was talking about free antivirus apps only.That is why i didn t mention Norton, Kaspersky,etc.
    Because people who use premium antivirus wont go looking for free antivirus apps.
    Because rogue softwares are also free, thats why they are tempted to try it, right?

Hi Kavin, i was talking about free antivirus apps only.That is why i didn t mention Norton, Kaspersky,etc.
    Because people who use premium antivirus wont go looking for free antivirus apps.
    Because rogue softwares are also free, thats why they are tempted to try it, right?
    Rogue softwares aren't free ashwin, it gets a lot of your precious time instead of what you get. Hey just kidding.

I agree with you.

Anything new excites & is attractive, especially if u see how these rouge would display the information..

so quite an easy catch for those who are novice..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast