Thread: Will playing with themes makes you compromise your security?

Will playing with themes makes you compromise your security?

I have recently changed my XP theme into Mac Leopard theme and I used Flyakite OSX pack. It changed a lot of system files. So, do you think that changing system files can affect system security?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I have recently changed my XP theme into Mac Leopard theme and I used Flyakite OSX pack. It changed a lot of system files. So, do you think that changing system files can affect system security?
    Lemme guess, you installed UX Theme patch. Or you installed using a simple exe theme installer?
    You probably saw that it installed some dll files.
    Either way you shouldn't be worried. I have done that too, used vista and win7 transformation packs without problems.

PS: Since you are playing with themes, you may be interested in trying rocketdock, stardock, thoosje sidebar to make your XP look like Vista.
    All are freebie Eyecandy stuff :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Lemme guess, you installed UX Theme patch. Or you installed using a simple exe theme installer?
    You probably saw that it installed some dll files.
    Either way you shouldn't be worried. I have done that too, used vista and win7 transformation packs without problems.
    This is all true, IF your getting your themes from reputable places. I would not allow any change of system files unless I trusted the place I was getting the files from.

Yes, it used ux theme patcher and then changed a lot of system files, like explorer.exe, shell32.dll,user32.dll and many more. I downloaded them from which is a reputable and trusted place from where I download all my customizations. But the problem is that whenever I install softwares like Opera or Chrome it gives me an error, saying shell32.dll or user32.dll relocated etc etc. So, everytime I get that error I rewrite those two files with the original ones that I backed up earlier. And after installing this again I rewrite the originals with the ones that came with theme.

Anyway, my system is now looking like Mac OSX leopard with which I am happy (As I am bored with the default themes). BTW, is there any free alternative to Windowsblinds?

Cool Check out the link i have provided

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Yes, it used ux theme patcher and then changed a lot of system files, like explorer.exe, shell32.dll,user32.dll and many more. I downloaded them from which is a reputable and trusted place from where I download all my customizations. But the problem is that whenever I install softwares like Opera or Chrome it gives me an error, saying shell32.dll or user32.dll relocated etc etc. So, everytime I get that error I rewrite those two files with the original ones that I backed up earlier. And after installing this again I rewrite the originals with the ones that came with theme.

Anyway, my system is now looking like Mac OSX leopard with which I am happy (As I am bored with the default themes). BTW, is there any free alternative to Windowsblinds?
    Nope. I cant find any free alternative to Windowsblinds, been looking for years, but you can try these freeware

Just 48 transformation packs to transform your XP to look cool B-)

Code:
    http://mintywhite.com/xp/xcustomization/48-windows-xp-custom-desktop-theme-packs/

I personally hate applications when they start changing or replacing the system files. The reason being unless you downloaded it from a authentic source, it may be infected and you will install it on your system even if your AntiVirus blocks it presuming its the application is clean which in fact may be not.

You right Avinash. Sometimes we just ignore the warnings of antivirus in order to make your eyes satisfied with those glossy and eye candy themes. But what I learnt is, always read the read me file or the instructions that the author gives. I installed a theme on XP. The author said that it is strictly for SP2 only, and I ignored it saying what's the difference between SP2 and SP3... After installing the theme I am unable to install even a single software, even Chrome updater doesn't work. So, guys mod your O.S. with care.