Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BitDefender evaluation

Avinash Guest

Re: BitDefender evaluation

@Ashwin

Thank you for the feedback. The thread remains open.

Hi Ashwin,
    You told that you are having Norton, Bitdefender and Online Armor. Later you removed Norton, that's great. But you are still having Online Armor Firewall and Bitdefender (Internet Security I guess, as you told it includes firewall, anti-phishing etc earlier in this thread). We all know, having two antivirus will affect your system. I think having two firewalls will also affect your system. Even worse than having two antivirus, because when you have two firewalls, both of them will scan internet packets, applications simultaneously causing degraded performance of system and sometimes your internet won't work too.

Have you experienced any problems? Is your system working as normal even though you have two firewalls working simultaneously?

Hi Sam,

Well no i had absolutely no conflicts while running OA and BD.
    I have already mentioned that i tried to run NOrton, OA and BD simultaneously.
    They ran perfectly without conflicting with each other.
    Now im just using BD. And Malwarebytes free edition (MB free does not provide realtime protection)
    I also use Zemana antilogger which is an addition to firewall and antivirus. It prevents hacking.

Cheers
    Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel
    Hi Ashwin,
    You told that you are having Norton, Bitdefender and Online Armor. Later you removed Norton, that's great. But you are still having Online Armor Firewall and Bitdefender (Internet Security I guess, as you told it includes firewall, anti-phishing etc earlier in this thread). We all know, having two antivirus will affect your system. I think having two firewalls will also affect your system. Even worse than having two antivirus, because when you have two firewalls, both of them will scan internet packets, applications simultaneously causing degraded performance of system and sometimes your internet won't work too.

Have you experienced any problems? Is your system working as normal even though you have two firewalls working simultaneously?
    I agree Samuel, as a matter of fact, two securities with anti virus, firewall, etc... will detect eachothers detection files and can actually delete them which is not good and even with firewalls, it can break your security down and cause other issues on a system and specifically with firewalls can open up a hole for attack instead. (EVEN IF NOT EVIDENT BY YOU)

That said, if you MUST run 2 anti virus, make sure one is SCAN ONLY and not always monitoring and let the other do real time. I would simply pick one good one. Another thing with either firewall or anti virus or anti spyware is running two will consume needed resources which become wasted, cause blue screens and of course security issues.

This brings me back to the point you made about Spywareterminator saying it's slowing down your system when it has been especially known for using LESS resources. If you are running that, ZA, Norton, BD,and others, ... by the great pumpkin... get rid of some of them man!!! :shock: lol. One of each, an anti virus, a firewall, an anti spyware is good enough, or one good all in one.

Paul,

If you read my previous reply, im only using BD. And Zemana, which you might even forget is running in the background.
    Lightweight on resources,but provides awesome real time protection. Zemana's website suggests users have their own AV and firewall since it is just like an add-on.

I was just testing running multiple AVs simultaneously, and was surprised that they worked well together, not using Norton anymore on my primary PC

LOL :-D

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin

I was just testing running multiple AVs simultaneously, and was surprised that they worked well together, not using Norton anymore on my primary PC

LOL :-D
    LOL --*phew* ok, good to hear Ashwin, you were beginning to worry me man! I thought you were beginning to be a paranoid user, like my neighbor, fixed her laptop last night, she had AVG, AVAST, NORTON, AVira, Spywareterminator, spybot, AND spywaredoctor! That was a mess and she couldn't figure out why it was slowing down Her brother kept telling her to try this stuff together to form an "invisible barrier" Why yes, invisible, now watch your resources disappear! POOF! all gone. Anyway, true story and I removed everything that wasn't needed of course. Anyway, I apologize if I misunderstood.

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PChammer
    she had AVG, AVAST, NORTON, AVira, Spywareterminator, spybot, AND spywaredoctor!
    LOL, what a big list and all running together :P

Thats what happen when people dont read full articles or the fine print. May be tech authors should always specify somewhere...remove any other AV before you install a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash
    Quote Originally Posted by PChammer
    she had AVG, AVAST, NORTON, AVira, Spywareterminator, spybot, AND spywaredoctor!
    LOL, what a big list and all running together :P

Thats what happen when people dont read full articles or the fine print. May be tech authors should always specify somewhere...remove any other AV before you install a new one.
    LOL, I agree. Some do state that during install but she didn't listen and another thing, I've told them time and time again, don't do that but he sees flashy ads and goes for it all the time.

Ha ha ha :-D

All at once? Man, she must be nuts to try that.

And about the worries i caused you, sorry about that.
    Hey besides, havent i mentioned how many times i had removed AVs on customer's requests while i was on tech support? (90 percent were AVG and McAfee trials )
    Relax dude, i wont let my PC to be eaten by Anti-virus monsters who keep munching on my resources.

I was only testing out Norton's and BD's resource usage and detection by running them on the same PC. And you know the result of that.

I have already received complaints from my friends about Avast 5 free edition causing BSODs (Blue screen of death)
    Trust them to do that.

@Ashwin
    Removed Online Armor I prefer Online Armor over Bitdefender. Because Bitdefender sucks at Firewall. I agree that they have pretty good antivirus, but in firewalls OA is one of the best. Also, Matousec's tests
    Code:
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
    prove that Bitdefender is not a good firewall. By the way, can you reveal us the results you find? Mainly those security apps that go along like lovers and not like wife and husband....

@PChammer
    Dealing with such absolute novices is very difficult. I personally lose patience when my friend asks (Well, after 10 times) me the same question again and again. I am trying to control my temper.

@Avinash
    Nice tip. I'll try that on my website..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast