Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BitDefender evaluation

BitDefender evaluation

Well, I thought I'd put my BD evaluation here since it is, an evaluation and doesn't really fit other topics. Now onto the series of unfortunate events....

Account: Signed up, downloaded, went easy.

Starting the BD install: Began the install and downloading to run into an error that it could not download the X64 plugins or drivers, something on that order, then froze. *keep in mind I uninstalled all other security prior and my machine is clean of infection, new install*. After the third try, I finally managed to get it to install \ download.

Restart: I did a restart per asking of the application but when my PC rebooted, there was an error that BD "something or another" was not found, blue screened on me and restarted. *Spider-Sense tingling at this point*

Next restart: Ok, this time no issue restarting, great. I loaded up the app and went to enter my registration information and it was refused, said it was not valid. Went through all the hoops again to try and figure out why, only to be met with freezeups in my browser, could not get pages to load and when I did, it was so slow it was unbelievable and my CPU was shooting up to 86%, stayed around 43% without browser and hard drive was going nuts.

Next, the Uninstall: After all this, I felt if it's this bad to get a security app to install which I've never encountered except with Norton, then it's time to go. However BD did NOT want to leave, it would not close the update service and I could not see it in my task list so every time I restarted, it was still there. Finally I killed all unneeded processes and got it to uninstall.

Aside from that, it opens IE automatically which really frustrated me, IE is an insecure browser which I don't use and hate when security apps or any other open this automatically whether for feedback or otherwise.

I am sorry for the terrible feedback on this but my experience was a nightmare with this. I will stick with other securities for now and am browsing around for a few new ones to look at but BD will not be on my list.

I still appreciate the attempt at a license which didn't work so it's not wasted at least

Thanks,

Paul

Avinash Guest

Re: BitDefender evaluation

Sad to hear that you encountered so much errors and got frustrated while trying to use it. May be its too getting bloated too much now.

Or perhaps its a issue of 64 bit support? I dont have a idea.

BTW, I moved this from "Misc" forum to this one "Virus/trojan" one. :P

BTW, I moved this from "Misc" forum to this one "Virus/trojan" one.
    LOL thanks, I just read that in the original BD post where it was going to be in there. My bad !

Paul

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with Bitdefender Paul and I sure hope ashwin has better luck. Bitdefender runs fine on my computer which is an old Dell with XP on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm52858
    Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with Bitdefender Paul and I sure hope ashwin has better luck. Bitdefender runs fine on my computer which is an old Dell with XP on it.
    No need to be sorry at all, It happens and nothing out there is going to run on everyone's computer correctly. The last time I used BD was on XPpro quite a while back "just recalled winning a license from CastleCops when it was active" and had no issues either. I was reading how others are having trouble on Vista and Win 7 so while they have good security, I think they are simply lagging in the OS dept is all. They will catch up eventually and can't be an easy task for sure.

Avinash Guest

We are still to hear Ashwin side of story. :P

Yes, sometime it does happen while installing some software and it gets stuck with something even though it works well on other's system. May be some compatibility issues or something else.

Still we should keep testing these as it does help others to know the issues before they try that.

Hi guys,

Sorry i couldnt post a comment here. My Stupid ISP shut down their server for maintenance for over 24 hours.

Paul,i am really sorry to hear things didnt go well for you with BD.
    I have installed BD alongside NORTON and OA. I have also registered and activated my copy of BD.(Thanks again Mike).
    No conflicts whatsoever, i am really pleased with BD. It is very fast and efficient.
    I have used BD for only a day and was offline for another day, so i will post a more detailed review soon.Deep scan found threats and removed them. I would suggest that you try this on a 32 bit PC.

And guys, i installed Kaspersky CBE 2009 on a friend's computer yesterday.
    It is a german promotion which began for Windows 7 launch last year and is still valid.
    I was able to activate Kaspersky for 2 and a half months. It can be renewed for free.
    Also performed updates successfully, but please remove any other security software before installing it.

Kaspersky CBE 2009 is a special edition for Computer Bild subscribers (and for us geeks who make the most of the oppurtunity). I can assure you its working 100%.
    Im not giving any direct links Just search for "Kaspersky CBE 2009" in google and select Raymond's or 4free's links. Enjoy

I could have posted this under Freebies , but i thought Paul would need a good security suite after things messed up. Maybe Avinash will post it after verifying it.

Cheers

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin
    I have installed BD alongside NORTON and OA
    If i am reading it right, you got all Norton, BD and OA on your system??? Am i right?

If i am, You should remove either BD or Norton from your system otherwise your system will soon get stuck somewhere. You cant have two swords in same case

OA can stay with any of the AV.

Regarding CBE kaspersky, I will talk about later.

Yeah , i have all 3. And im gonna remove Norton.
    Anyway i have installed Norton on Vista. So no real problem here

Ok here is a quick review.

This is my experience with BD in the last 3 days

BD starts faster than Norton during System boot up.
    BD provides real time protection while i am online, actually blocked a couple of trojans.
    Antiphishing filter in browser is really cool.(Im using Firefox 3.6)
    Game mode in BD is also good, when you wanna play games and dont want to be disturbed by BD's pop-ups use this function.
    There are three modes (under settings) to use BD, Novice,Intermediate and Expert.Im using expert to configure every bit of BD.
    Parental control,firewall,Antispamm are very good.
    Vulnerability control( you can select to install windows updates,software updates, it even checks if you have an admin password for your OS)
    Registration and activation took only a couple of seconds, no big deal here.
    You can schedule automatic updates depending on your need (i have chosen an hourly basis)
    Critical updates for database may require rebooting, minor updates do not.
    Deep scan takes a while,but is effective.
    Auto disk recognition is an added advantage, when i plugged in my mobile, and my usb pen drive, it detected the memory card and the usb storage disk,
    and offered to scan it. Excellent feature, if you often transfer files with other computers

i think BitDefender rocks, no real surprise that it outperforms Norton by a landslide.

If this thread remains open, i will provide more details in the future, after all its been on my system for only 3 or 4 days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast