Thread: End of support for PC Tools AntiVirus™

Exclamation End of support for PC Tools AntiVirus™

End of support for PC Tools AntiVirus™

From the 8 March 2010, PC Tools will begin phasing out support for all versions of PC Tools AntiVirus. PC Tools AntiVirus will no longer be available for purchase or renewal, and if you’re registered for the Automatic Renewal Service we will not renew your subscription. We will continue to support existing customers with signature updates and customer support until end of March 2011.

That's what that happens with every product Symantec acquires. They just dump the product after acquiring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    That's what that happens with every product Symantec acquires. They just dump the product after acquiring it.
    caz they have their own product, so one has to go off..

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    caz they have their own product, so one has to go off..
    Remember what happened to Sygate firewall?
    It was the best, then symantec bought it and shut it down

I heard a rumor that PC tools were trying to get independent, but i dont think symantec will let go off it

When Symantec bought PC Tools, their representative said

"PC Tools will broaden our portfolio in the utilities category, as well as with point security technologies"

So, its clear that their intention in buying PC Tools is to broaden Symantec's portfolio to maintenance also...may be to improve their Norton 360! I won't be surprised even if they shut down PC Tools' Spyware Doctor and Firewall, which has been improved brilliantly in recent years...

Symantec is behaving like another Microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    When Symantec bought PC Tools, their representative said

"PC Tools will broaden our portfolio in the utilities category, as well as with point security technologies"

So, its clear that their intention in buying PC Tools is to broaden Symantec's portfolio to maintenance also...may be to improve their Norton 360! I won't be surprised even if they shut down PC Tools' Spyware Doctor and Firewall, which has been improved brilliantly in recent years...

Symantec is behaving like another Microsoft
    Yes, eventually they would close down Spyware Doctor and Firewall; thereby integrating it's functionality in 1 of their own Norton branded product.

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    End of support for PC Tools AntiVirus™

From the 8 March 2010, PC Tools will begin phasing out support for all versions of PC Tools AntiVirus. PC Tools AntiVirus will no longer be available for purchase or renewal, and if you’re registered for the Automatic Renewal Service we will not renew your subscription. We will continue to support existing customers with signature updates and customer support until end of March 2011.
    I knew about that they bought Sygate firewall and killed it,but buying PC Tools it shows that Symantec are really desperate to become top in security which isn't going to happen anytime soon.Frankly more and more new Anti-virus are making debut with each passing day,They all seem to be promising,better,new,improved,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vivek View Post
    Frankly more and more new Anti-virus are making debut with each passing day,They all seem to be promising,better,new,improved,etc.
    Also there r good free also like Avast, AVG & some other...

Unhappy A Crying Shame

I fear most of you are right.Just when Spyware Dr. has hit it's stride,it's just a matter of time.The really sad part is the acquisition of "better" software hasn't made the Norton line any better either.Oh,maybe a little,from junk to dismal at best IMHO.Detection is still very poor,and the sheer weight of the program has most users with less than 2 Gigs of Ram tearing their hair out waiting for a usable computer after log on.I just removed several infections from two co-worker's rigs this week-both running NIS.I always liked Spyware Dr. and being an Avira advocate, didn't like the integration of the AV into that program.Well,run it while you've got it-it's all we can do

I just hope they won't destroy all Pc tools products. Pc Tools firewall is free, light and good firewall that bring balance between competitors and make each other to improve their products.