Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed to secure WiFi.

We are here to help each other and I am just trying to do that

How to test wi fi to see if secure?

I am in the process of using all of your suggestions but I wanted to add some information that I just found out. Today, we had a building meeting. I mentioned that the wireless comes up as insecure. He said the wireless is secure...I called the isp company...They said it was secure. I can not believe that this wireless is secure...and... to my knowledge if this is the case...it would be the only time a connection that is shared with Starbucks is secure. Is there a way for me to test the connection to see if it is secure ... so that no information can be hacked? Is there a better way to technically ask the isp if it is secured and how can they prove it to me? Thanks again to all... Should I start a new topic with this question?

You don't need to start a new topic as others will answer here. I have a friend that recently had a posting about this topic which you might want to check out here ---->

wifi security

Hi Mike, I read your reply too fast and thought you said to start new thread...if you think it is repetitious please delete it...thanks for giving your friends link.

Quote Originally Posted by bayviewbabe View Post
    Hi Mike, I read your reply too fast and thought you said to start new thread...if you think it is repetitious please delete it...thanks for giving your friends link.
    As Mike mentioned I left the thread as such, but closed it

Just about finished.

Hello Everyone. I am just about finished implementing all of your suggestions.
    The only problem so far has been the VPN.
    For your own information, I emailed several of the companies that were on your list and that were suggested. Most did not respond regarding basic questions...so I crossed them off the list...
    The only ones to respond with good info was Proxpn and another company Raptor. I could not find what type or security Raptor used so I didnt install. [Raptor gives unlimited bandwidth while Proxpn gives 100 with option to buy more]
    Installed Proxpin...very easy...does slow down browser but I expected that.
    Proxpin has only one access point [Florida, USA] with free service so might not be good for everyone.
    I want to thank Everyone for your great suggestions.

Please do not close thread because I will have a question on Win XP...public or private.
    Thanks again...

8. VPN is a virtual private network that establishes an encrypted tunnel between your home PC and a remote server. You can be surfing on the internet in the United States but the VPN will show that you are somewhere else like Italy. Since your IP Address will show up as a different location, you will finally be able to enjoy the websites that have restrictions to other countries. You should be able to switch your locations with ease. This data transfer is also highly encrypted so that you are secure too. Security is maintained because people to whom you are communicating will not be able to trace your original location but that of server location that your VPN is using.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12