Thread: Have you tried Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials?

Have you tried Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials?

I have tested many free security products, but i have never tested Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials. I will be buying a custom-built PC for a friend this saturday and i want to try out one of the above security solutions instead of a premium Anti-Virus.

Is MSE good as Avast or Avira? And is Windows Defender compatible alongside other AVs?
    I know it is just an Antispyware, but it does run in realtime, doesnt it? Will it conflict with AV?
    Usually i disable Windows Defender on Vista PCs, before installing any AV. So i have no idea how good it is.

I would like some feedback on this,could anyone use this format to reply:

Windows Defender/MSE comparison
    1. Scanning speed
    2. Scanning Accuracy
    3. Removal of threats
    4. Real time protection
    5. Updates (frequent or once in a while?)
    Last edited by Ashwin; 24-03-10 at 12:38 AM.

Windows defender is compatible. The reason, simple enough. it is part of Windows Vista and Windows 7. And almost all AV suites are compatible with these two OS.

Regarding MSE, i have never tested it long enough so cant provide you a comment too.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Windows defender is compatible. The reason, simple enough. it is part of Windows Vista and Windows 7. And almost all AV suites are compatible with these two OS.

Regarding MSE, i have never tested it long enough so cant provide you a comment too.
    Thanks for the info about Win Defender, i downloaded it myself.
    Validated windows, performed updates,scanning was fast, but i think the XP version is quite old, am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Thanks for the info about Win Defender, i downloaded it myself.
    Validated windows, performed updates,scanning was fast, but i think the XP version is quite old, am i right?
    Its nothing like that the version is old. Just the GUI may look a bit different otherwise everything is same.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Its nothing like that the version is old. Just the GUI may look a bit different otherwise everything is same.
    I havent used it before personally but troubleshooted Win Defender issues for customers. So i didnt know the version numbers.
    Mostly it wouldnt let the user to connect to the internet after a faulty update, but that was over a year ago, now it is fine.

If I am not wrong MSE is compatible with Avira.I would recommend MSE over windows defender...