Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandboxie alterntives like BufferZone Pro..etc

Ok damein, through the settings of BufferZone disable its automatic firewall and disable it from startup. Reboot. Now install CIS. After that add bufferzone to trusted files of Defense+. Switch on BufferZone and in its exclusions put Comodo IS. Thats it and re-enable its autostartup. I too use the same combo. I use CIS Pro and BufferZone Pro.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Damien, for your question about BufferZones firewall let me clarify that the firewall component auto sandboxes unknown softwares. I personally use BuffferZone only when needed, as even comodo auto sandboxes unknown programs so it is a overkill.

Hi,

Appreciate the help here thanks.

I did just that:

a. installed BufferZone Pro v3.42. Rebooted.
    - But I cannot turn-off the firewall. I cannot see any button or some setting that I can use to turn the firewall off. See image.
    - The config settings also does not say anything there.
    - I just turned-off protection instead and the start-up program.

b. Installed CIS free v5.8
    - Placed Program Files\Bufferzone and Program Data\Bufferzone in D+ as Trusted.

c. Rebooted.

There was no BSOD but the boot was long. It took almost 20,25minutes to forever from "Please Wait-Welcome-Preparing your desktop" and then all I see is a black screen with the arrow pointer. Restarted again. The same thing happened. I had to restore from a system image I have because it would not continue to boot.

I tried to install in an XP machine with AvastFree and just the windows firewall. BZ installed fine/no boot problems. Used an XP system image and installed a trial version of Avast IS. BZ installed fine and no boot problems. Used the XP system image again and installed Avira Premium. BZ installed fine/no boot problems. Installed Comodo. Again boot problems.

Makes me think that the firewall component or the HIPS is clashing or something...

Ok Damein, do the following.
    1. Delte all the rules in the firewall part of bufferzone.
    2. Go to configuration and inside settings tab go down to Advanced Rules. Add Comodo exe and its folder as an exception.
    3. Go the Misc section in the configuration section and for Installers set both to prompt. ( ie prompt for signed as well as unsigned installer).
    4. Disable bufferzone from windows services or use some software like tuneup utilities to do so.
    Now if u are reinstalling pls install CIS first and then bufferzone. Add bufferzone is CIS exceptions and as i said in pt2 add comodo to bufferzone exception.

Now i use bufferzone only for usb sandboxing as comodos firewall autosandboxes suspicious files auto. Anyway if u have kis it works well with it without any testing. Again this combo was tested by me. I think that u encountered the problem as u installed Cis after installing bufferzone so remember to tdo the vice versa.
    Always create a restore point before installing either of them. This time it should work. Cuurently i removed bufferzone to try sandboxie but gonna revert back to bufferzone. Bufferzone is by far better.

Thnx damein.

I suspect your Sandboxie license scheme is Personal license with one-year free updates, damien? Then you should be able to use Sandboxie just like usual even if it reaches its expiry date but no more further program updates for you till you renew your license. So, no need to install Bufferzone or other similar software.

@avibky, Thanks for reply. When I started to install BZ it was with Avira and CIS existing already but I got into a BSOD and then it happened.. (..it's printed in the previous post). I was also trying to place a folder as exclusion in BZ but it cannot do that. It only identifies a file type as when I excluded Comodo and Avira processes previously. Okay I'll try again. I have a system image backup so whenever something goes awry I just use recover an image. Will get back here.

@corker, I used a system image with the SBIE program version 3.60 yesterday and it auto-updated to version 3.62. It asked to be activated but since mine expired the other day it won't accept the license anymore plus the settings I have cannot be used again. I have 6 sandboxes(each for a specific agenda/browser/app trial etc. I was left with only just one which was a default. It would not allow simultaneous usage of sandboxes but just 1. The pop-up of SBIE says that I cannot activate anymore due to the expiration date(1 year). And the program went into an "Unregistered version" with limited abilities(as mentioned cannot use 2 or more and cannot install a program in the sandbox for trial etc).

There was also something like a pop-up that said ..since this is an unregistered version you cannot do so and so..etc something and the program will time-out or stop or something...(cannot remember and forgot to take a snapshot). So I uninstalled/ re-installed as free user with configuration not saved. If I save the config when I uninstall, the set-up will be as when I was using an active license but the program will stop (--the pop-up something that I forgot to take a snapshot/can't remember). I can't seem to fix my post. Everytime I use the "Quick Reply" the format goes "continuous" making it difficult to read. How can this be fixed. I click edit and fix it but when I "Save Changes" it still is that way....
    Last edited by damien; 25-11-11 at 11:05 PM.

Then you have to downgrade by reinstalling Sandboxie 3.60, damien. You had better still have the installler for that version with you. After that, go to Help tab and set the Check for Updates submenu to Never, so your last version of licensed Sandboxie will not be autoupdated in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by corker View Post
    Then you have to downgrade by reinstalling Sandboxie 3.60, damien. You had better still have the installler for that version with you. After that, go to Help tab and set the Check for Updates submenu to Never, so your last version of licensed Sandboxie will not be autoupdated in the future.
    -- Hmmm...I'll give it a go when I finish the BZ set-up. I'd have to load another image. Thanks.

I can't seem to have it work for BZPro(with Avira Premium (--thanks to the post here, formerly using Avira Personal) and Comodo). I had the chance to have a pleasant set-up with a trial Avast IS ad BZ Pro. It's running now but with the Avira/Comodo set-up...no. And I want to use that combination. I do not have Avast IS license and I am keen on using Avira Premium.

On the SBIE, I reloaded an image and downgraded to ver3.60. It did not allow multiple usage of sandboxes and Program Start>Forced Folders because mine is already an "Unregistered version". So it's the free version now whatever version I load.

IMHO, Sandboxie is truly one of a kind.
    Damien I feel you should definitely buy the lifetime license of Sandboxie this Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by damien View Post
    On the SBIE, I reloaded an image and downgraded to ver3.60. It did not allow multiple usage of sandboxes and Program Start>Forced Folders because mine is already an "Unregistered version". So it's the free version now whatever version I load.

caz free is just 1 instance, and no forced sandbox...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast