Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sandboxie alterntives like BufferZone Pro..etc

Next time try to perform a fresh Sandboxie 3.60 installation and not rollback, damien. Perhaps that will make the difference.

Originally Posted by corker
    Next time try to perform a fresh Sandboxie 3.60 installation and not rollback, damien. Perhaps that will make the difference

I am sorry but I did that also. It went back to the freeware version. I used an image where the SBIE installation was ver5.8 disabled auto-update. Continued to use the activated ver5.8 as normal. When it detected my installation was already expired it asked that the app need be re-activated. When you don't activate it and ignore it will function yes but soon(2 days) it will go back to the freeware version. I did that 3x all the same observation.

--

On the Bufferzone install, I can't seem to make it work with a full blown firewall in the likes of OA free/Comodo.

I have successfully installed it with AvastFree and Avira Premium(no firewall). Also with trial versions of Avast IS and Avira IS. Seems the firewall component is conflicting with the full blown stand-alone-firewall. All with the proper exclusions. All processes of Comodo/OA free on BZ and vice versa. Same observation. Seems to go on forever in "Preparing your desktop" and then "black desktop"...

Have not tried to install with Outpost Pro yet. But I have an inkling it will be the same.

I ended up using PrevxSafeonline(for Chrome/Opera) + SBIE free(for Firefox) + Avira Premium on this Windows 7 x32 pc.

Have installed it in an XP machine with AvastFree. Seems to be doing okay but the firewall component is very limited and you cannot disable it to have a full blown stand-alone-firewall. It there'd be a possibility of disabling the firewall then BZ would be a great app indeed. The functions are quite good. Very promising. Too bad it's underdeveloped.

Also observed that in Chrome/Iron the BZ red border is not visible. But in the GUI it's listed as protected. You also cannot place a whole folder as excluded/trusted in BZ. You will have to identify and place each process manually. The red-border is visible in Firefox and Opera.

So in the meantime that I have not a license for SBIE the set-up is PrevxSOL facebook edition(also under-developed now) + SBIE free + Avira Premium or Avira Personal or AvastFree.

Have not tried GesWall again though. I have retained the AvastFree + BZ and still observing. Had Process Hacker v2 to augment process termination.

Quote Originally Posted by damien View Post
    I am sorry but I did that also. It went back to the freeware version. I used an image where the SBIE installation was ver5.8 disabled auto-update. Continued to use the activated ver5.8 as normal. When it detected my installation was already expired it asked that the app need be re-activated. When you don't activate it and ignore it will function yes but soon(2 days) it will go back to the freeware version. I did that 3x all the same observation.
    I am afraid indeed that is the deal, damien. Sandboxie with one-year license works like a rent. After it expires and you don't renew, then you won't get any premium features. You are entiled to free updates just like other free users, however.
    Last edited by corker; 08-12-11 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corker View Post
    I am afraid indeed that is the deal, damien. Sandboxie with one-year license works like a rent. After it expires and you don't renew, then you won't get any premium features. You are entiled to free updates just like other free users, however.

I though it would still be a PRO- BUT no updates

Hmm... somebody remembered me here..

Straight to the topic..
    I am facing the same problem but I have no problem with SandboxIE free as I don't prefer to test software within SandboxIE and I use only one "defaultbox" for occasional browsing.
    Trusteer Rapport/Safe Online are not replacement of Sandboxie.
    Comodo Sandbox might be considered as a replacement but its not that flexible.
    BufferZone is good in features but may not fair well in some systems, atleast not in my case. But I am getting good remarks for v4. You could try it once it will release publicly.
    For software testing you might give Toolwiz Time Freeze a spin.

It is a new product yet very capable. Its sort of Returnil kind of product but unlike that you can drop all changes without a reboot. The developer is kind enough to accept suggestions and offers quick bug-fixes.
    Last edited by sujay; 10-12-11 at 03:29 PM.

@corker,

Yeah. Thanks for the suggestions.

@sujay,

Your so busy huh...been waiting for a reply really. Now with the set-up I posted previously.
    Avira Premium + PrevxSOL + SBIEfree for Firefox + Comodo ver5.8. Avira Premium ver10 at that because I did get the "Bad Image" problem which is as of now no solution.

I'll stay with this set-up for awhile. By the way I remembered I tested WSA Beta. Is the license that they gave still okay by the way...? Might be expired now that they released the final version. But can I use it instead of PrevxSOL?

Saw this one at MaximumPc. Webroot seems to be getting better.
    xxxx://www.maximumpc.com/print/article/features/choose_your_defender

I hear that Trusteer Rapport has been bypassed.! xxxx://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1986369

and the Comodo D+ affected by zeroaccess rootkit

xxxx://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1985441

Cheers guys
    Last edited by damien; 10-12-11 at 08:14 PM.

@damien: Yeh busy these days.
    If you are happy with your setup that's fine . And no security product is 100% safe. All you need is to believe in some and keep your common sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123