Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bitdefender Cements Spot as World AV Industry Leader in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post
    I used BitDefender for a couple years but jumped ship almost 2 years ago and they were lagging behind in AV Comparitives testing. (I also read blog and forums posts too.) Ended up using Avast IS for the last year and was really happy with it. Using Avira IS 2012 right now and not sure if I like it or not. I do miss Avast "talking" to me after it's done an update. Too much Star Trek in my youth.
    Check this out jelson being a Avast fan
    Second prize (300 winners): free avast! Internet Security license.

Even Dennis Technology labs results seem very different although i am not saying its rigged, they rate trend micro as the best internetsecurity suite. Kaspersky comes at the bottom. The best way to find out an av's effectiveness is to compare all such reviews and from users of the product. Even some small blogs write impartial reviews. We can also trust reviewers like softpedia. Even pc mag seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by avibky View Post
    Even Dennis Technology labs results seem very different although i am not saying its rigged, they rate trend micro as the best internetsecurity suite. Kaspersky comes at the bottom. The best way to find out an av's effectiveness is to compare all such reviews and from users of the product. Even some small blogs write impartial reviews. We can also trust reviewers like softpedia. Even pc mag seems good.
    Everything depends upon the way the test is set up and malware samples used, etc.

I've seem quite a few discussions talking about the "real world" applicability of various tests. Of course, most of the time, I just do my best to follow the conversation.

Short version, I pay attention to the various different tests done by AV Comparatives and one or two others. Main thing is if the app is among the top 4 or 5 consistently as well as the number of false positives.

Then it comes down to questions of how well one of them fits my needs and style.

Of course, then there is layering in other defenses as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12