Thread: Winamp 5.623 fixes 3 security holes

Exclamation Winamp 5.623 fixes 3 security holes

Just found out about this via an email from Bill Mullins and updated my Winamp Pro.

Grab this update

You can read more about in the PC World article (Mullins' source)

All three vulnerabilities were confirmed in Winamp 5.622, but older versions could also be affected. They are located in the application's in_avi.dll and in_mod.dll libraries and can trigger heap-based buffer overflows.

An attacker could exploit these vulnerabilities by tricking victims into opening specially crafted AVI or Impulse Tracker (IT) files. The remote attack vectors include malicious files stored on network shares and WebDAV resources, but also rogue playlists hosted on the Web.

Thanks Jelson, but I can't find an updated portable version
    Perhaps, its available for Pro users only?

The only portable version I'm not aware of any portable versions. I saw some discussion about this on portableapps.com (looks like Nullsoft is not allowing it)

However, I did find on how to install it on USB.

years ago I used to use Winamp....

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    years ago I used to use Winamp....
    yeppers, 1st used it back in the 90s and finally bought a license a couple of years to say thanks.

Used Spider Player Pro for awhile and was very pleased with it... then got turned onto AIMP which is really, really good. Love the search function within the playlist and it's internet radio recording.

But then I scored Media Monkey Gold last year from Samuel's blog... Da Monkey Seriously Rox

Still have Winamp installed, and use its auto-tagging feature, but also use other apps to do tagging look-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post
    yeppers, 1st used it back in the 90s and finally bought a license a couple of years to say thanks.

Used Spider Player Pro for awhile and was very pleased with it... then got turned onto AIMP which is really, really good. Love the search function within the playlist and it's internet radio recording.

But then I scored Media Monkey Gold last year from Samuel's blog... Da Monkey Seriously Rox

Still have Winamp installed, and use its auto-tagging feature, but also use other apps to do tagging look-ups.

Thanks for the link Jelson, I'll give it a shot

I have Winamp for the same reason as you, auto-tagging.

Also have Spider Player Pro (not portable) and MM Gold

What other apps do you use for tagging? Any recommendations for an Album-art downloader?

Currently I am using pictures from Amazon, but its difficult as I have to manually search for a picture , download it and tag it with MM :-/