Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the safe temperature range for a processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    1. Observe the system temperature for a few days.

Does it seem to be high from the moment you switch on the PC or when you are working on it?
    Because, Speedfan measures the CPU temp in real-time. Obviously it will be high when programs are running.
    If it is too high from the moment you switch on the PC, move the computer elsewhere.

2. Keep your PC's Cabinet in a cool place and allow some breathing space. i.e don't stick right upto the wall. Place it on a desk or something.
    Make sure that there is no dust accumulation inside the cabinet, dust is an insulator of heeat. Need I say more?

If you are using a vacuum cleaner, blow the dust clean. If you feel the blow power is too high reduce it by covering the nozzle with a cloth. Don't use any liquids and make absolutely sure to disconnect the cord from the power outlet. Wipe the vents (if any) in your cabinet with a soft cloth everyday to keep it dust-free.

Personally I wouldn't rely on SpeedFan alone. I would panic only when the computer becomes sluggish or acts weird.
    Thanks for those suggestions ash As of now PC is running well even after using continuously for long hours. So, no worries as of now

SAM i had the same probs. My pc temps would go as far as 90C. I have the same p4. After two days the temps used to go till 108C and at that temp pc automatically switched off. Problem became so bad that 108 will be attainted in just 2-3mins of pc booting up. I also cleaned the heatsink fans and applied thermal paste to no avail. I even got a new fan for 150Rs and still problem was there. Remember I was telling that my games lag and stutter on my new motherboard it was due to over heating. I finally bought a new processor and got a replacement for my MOBO from Gigabyte. Now temp is 50C max. Even during games it does not exceed 50.
    Sam your MOBO also may cause processor to over heat. Press del when your pc boots so that you go into the BIOS settings. In it go to PC health status and record the voltages and temperatures there. Speedfan has a tendency to show wrong voltages as I have been using it from 2-3years. Also confirm by using HW Monitor which is better. Finally SAM leave your case open. I used to do this when I was using PC so that it did not over heat. Does your cabinet have side fans? If so see how fast they are spinning and clean the dust on them. Use a blower to blow off dustfrom heat sink.

Thanks Bala. I've applied thermal paste too, but temperature remained same. So, I guess what you said is right. Hope my system will stay good for few months. Thanks again for sharing your experience bro

NP it will last a few months sam bro. But maybe pc will be slow. But my temps were far higher so no need to worry. Wait for Rupee value to improve. I paid 4000Rs for processor as Rs was down. Once it improves you can get it cheap. Also note flipkart has no LGA775 processor. I recommend you to change to a motherboard which supports LGA1156 processors. There is one 1156 processor available for 3300Rs on flipkart.

In my opinion keep within 50 centigrade is safe for PC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12