Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the safe temperature range for a processor?

What is the safe temperature range for a processor?

Recently I started to use a software called to monitor my processor and hard disk temperature. I was shocked to see the temperature (and that burning fire symbol beside the temperature reading. Does it say my processor is too hot )

I found out that my processor temperature starts at 60 degrees and fluctuates between 60 and 70 degrees. When an intensive application puts some load on processor then it goes beyond 70 and then fall backs to 60's.

I just want to know what is the safe temperature level at which I can operate my processor safely. Any ideas fellas?

PS :
    It's been a long time since I talked with you all. Hope everything is fine with everyone
    Last edited by Samuel; 24-05-12 at 12:01 AM.

As far as i know, the safe temperature varies for each processor and caannot be same for everything. I am saying this not based on my computers knowledge but based on my "thermal engineering " knowledge

In my view the temp that you stated is fine till the fan above it is working properly.

Ya, different processors, different Thermal limits. Mine is way too old P4 processor and in the official thermal management webpage.

There I can see max case temperature around 70 degrees and hence I was worried.

BTW, all four fans are working well and recently I've applied new thermal paste to processor (even though there isn't much improvement in temperature decrease). I hope it is operating in safe phase.

Wow, 15 degree difference . Thanks for the screenshot avi. Hope my processor won't burn out until I buy a new PC

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Wow, 15 degree difference . Thanks for the screenshot avi. Hope my processor won't burn out until I buy a new PC
    I hope not

Did you note the difference in Fan speed? Yours run slow.

Also, as you said, you are running PIV (if I remember correctly) which produce lot more heat compared to the processor that I am using i.e. core 2 duo. Hence the difference in temperatues perhaps. (I am assuming that the temperatures shown by Speedfan are correct).

could it read laptop fan speed/temp as well?

1. Observe the system temperature for a few days.

Does it seem to be high from the moment you switch on the PC or when you are working on it?
    Because, Speedfan measures the CPU temp in real-time. Obviously it will be high when programs are running.
    If it is too high from the moment you switch on the PC, move the computer elsewhere.

2. Keep your PC's Cabinet in a cool place and allow some breathing space. i.e don't stick right upto the wall. Place it on a desk or something.
    Make sure that there is no dust accumulation inside the cabinet, dust is an insulator of heeat. Need I say more?

If you are using a vacuum cleaner, blow the dust clean. If you feel the blow power is too high reduce it by covering the nozzle with a cloth. Don't use any liquids and make absolutely sure to disconnect the cord from the power outlet. Wipe the vents (if any) in your cabinet with a soft cloth everyday to keep it dust-free.

Personally I wouldn't rely on SpeedFan alone. I would panic only when the computer becomes sluggish or acts weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I hope not

Did you note the difference in Fan speed? Yours run slow.

Also, as you said, you are running PIV (if I remember correctly) which produce lot more heat compared to the processor that I am using i.e. core 2 duo. Hence the difference in temperatues perhaps. (I am assuming that the temperatures shown by Speedfan are correct).
    Yup. I believe Intel has greatly improved thermal management of processors year by year. Today I saw my friend's PC temperature to be around 50 degrees, he uses i5 processor. So, I think latest processors are better in thermal management.

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    could it read laptop fan speed/temp as well?
    I think it will, but Speedfan is made for Desktops I believe, so, the numbers may not be consistent for laptops. May be AIDA64 can help you, check out the latest promo of AIDA64 (on many blogs), you can get one free.

PS : I know you are the one of the best freebie-hunter out there, so you might have already grabbed one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast