Thread: Problem with Internet Download Manager

Problem with Internet Download Manager

I've been experiencing problems with IDM recently. Whenever I click on a link to download a file, IDM just sort of freezes Firefox, and after a while the Start Download box appears, but it doesn't download the file even though I can see it in the Download queue.

The only way to fix it is by Ending the IDM process using the Task manager.When I re-open IDM and select Resume Download, it doesn't download it. I have to end the process and keep trying it till it works. None of the other options work when this happens, for eg: Stop download or move to queue.

And sometimes the download gets stuck after running fine for a while and the process has to be repeated.

This problem is not limited to any website. It happens on almost all websites. I do not download more than 1 file at a time, so its not a question of Internet speed.

What I've tried:
    1. Disabling and re-enabling the IDM addon in Firefox 13.0.1.
    2. Using Flashgot addon to capture downloads.
    3. Uninstall IDM, reboot and reinstall IDM.
    4. Tried the latest Stable and Beta versions of IDM.

None of these helped.

I don't have any problems with Free Download Manager or Orbit downloader.
    The reason I want IDM to work is because it supports "resuming of downloads", much better than any other Download Manager.

This is especially annoying as I download ROM files for my phone and they are quite large in size and are stored in sites like Mediafire.

I also noticed that IDM starts 3 or 4 processes like Idman.exe, IEMonitor.exe,ielowutil.exe. It usually gets stuck when the ielowutil.exe starts. Though I am not a 100% sure about this. Could the problem be with IDM or Firefox or even Kaspersky?

P.S: I am using an IDM license which I won from a giveaway earlier this year.

I would say to send this info to . I am sure they will help you out with your problem.

The best solution that I can suggest is, reset Firefox (assuming you are on latest FF), then completely reinstall IDM using revo uninstaller and then updating IDM to the latest version.

Hopefully it fixes the problem.

@Avinash Thanks, I tried it, but it didn't help

So I did what Mike suggested and contacted their support team via internetdownloadmanager.com

That ielowutil.exe, hasn't it something to do with Internet Explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by corker View Post
    That ielowutil.exe, hasn't it something to do with Internet Explorer?
    Not sure about that.

I am in touch with their support and they asked me to send a log from an app that they sent me.
    Then they asked me to try to disable/remove MBAM, SAS and Kaspersky one at a time to diagnose which of the three could be causing the problems.

Will keep you guys updated.

Edit:
    Tried removing all three. Rebooted after each install. Issue persists. Waiting for the support team to respond.
    Last edited by Ashwin; 11-07-12 at 10:41 PM.

I believe so. If you open Task Manager, you may find "IE Low Level Utilities" (or something like that) for ielowutil.exe's description, while IEMonitor.exe runs because you have chosen to check the "Run module for monitoring in IE-based browsers" option?

I don't use IDM with FF, only IE. So cannot check on the problem.

I think its working fine now on Firefox 14. I didn't change anything else, perhaps the update did the trick

Thanks for your suggestions everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    I think its working fine now on Firefox 14. I didn't change anything else, perhaps the update did the trick

Thanks for your suggestions everyone

cool, yes a update was released today

happy downloading