Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FREE Anti Spyware apps / tools

Re: FREE Anti Spyware apps / tools

Quote Originally Posted by PChammer

Besides, I created the icon for MBAM, so I couldn't forget it
    Erm yes, you did mention this when we discussed about security softwares a few days earlier.
    Looks like i forgot this, sorry Paul, my sincere apologies.
    (And the MB icon sits on my desktop) :-)

Great banners for the forum by the way.

And about spyware terminator, well it was like.......Zonealarm, slows down my computer which otherwise runs at a rather good speed.
    2 gigs RAM,320 GB Sata HDD, Dual core 2.4 GHz 32 bit PC, if you must know
    Starts XP within 15 to 20 seconds and shuts down in about 12 to 18 seconds (i actually timed it, when i tested Zonealarm and Spyware Terminator)
    With Spyware Terminator,it booted slow and consumed resources affecting my PC's performance.
    Maybe its my bad luck. I will continue using MBAM. Its speedy and quite reliable.
    Unless Paul comes up with a better suggestion of course

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin

Besides, I created the icon for MBAM, so I couldn't forget it
    Erm yes, you did mention this when we discussed about security softwares a few days earlier.
    (And the MB icon sits on my desktop) :-)

And about spyware terminator, well it was like.......Zonealarm, slows down my computer which otherwise runs at a rather good speed.
    2 gigs RAM,320 GB Sata HDD, Dual core 2.4 GHz 32 bit PC, if you must know
    Starts XP within 15 to 20 seconds and shuts down in about 12 to 18 seconds (i actually timed it, when i tested Zonealarm and Spyware Terminator)
    With Spyware Terminator,it booted slow and consumed resources affecting my PC's performance.
    Maybe its my bad luck. I will continue using MBAM. Its speedy and quite reliable.
    Unless Paul comes up with a better suggestion of course
    I find that very odd to say the least since Zone Alarm is known for taking a life time to start and use a lot of resources and Spywareterminator is usually VERY fast and uses little to none. I am thinking ZA isn't getting along with it too well. I am running Spywareterminator on all our machines and my daughter's machine has 512 ram with XPpro and 80 gig standard IDE drive, 32 bit AMD 1.2 gz processor and it runs fine. My son's pc has 1 gig ram with Win 7 pro and aero going with Spywareterminator and still his system is just fine.
    That said, I am going to install ZA and see if there is a conflict between the two as I have used ST for a long time now and never had an issue like that. I'll let you know more when I find out Thanks for the info!

No need to apologize!! That was all my fault, it was a dry joke m8. My apologies actually!

Thank you!

Paul think i think you misunderstood me.

I didnt say ZA and ST conflict, i have never used both at the same time.
    I meant to say that ST makes my PC slow. I uninstalled ZA after using it for a week, remember our first discussion on firewalls (Comodo, PCtools)

Ok i will try Spyware Terminator again, is there an offline installer for ST?
    Or could you tell me where it gets saved, maybe i still have the previously downloaded version?
    I have two desktops, so i dont want to download it twice

[BD saved its installation under a hidden folder in Documents and settings, well not too hidden since i tracked it?]

Paul think i think you misunderstood me.

I didnt say ZA and ST conflict, i have never used both at the same time.
    I meant to say that ST makes my PC slow. I uninstalled ZA after using it for a week, remember our first discussion on firewalls (Comodo, PCtools)

Ok i will try Spyware Terminator again, is there an offline installer for ST?
    Or could you tell me where it gets saved, maybe i still have the previously downloaded version?
    I have two desktops, so i dont want to download it twice

[BD saved its installation under a hidden folder in Documents and settings, well not too hidden since i tracked it?]
    Ok, I see what you mean now. Yes, ZA was horrible for this but ST doesn't typically run anything like that, BUT it may be something else on the system that doesn't agree with it, I won't say it isn't possible because it is. Typically ST is in the C:\Program files, or some hidden stuff could be in the applications folder under users as well.

Oh ok, thanks for the info Paul

Im on Vista now, will try it later on XP. By the way is Spyware Terminator THE best?
    I would prefer a real time protection from malware, like the ones triggered by some stupid ads that automatically load on some webpages
    BD does prevent it, but are there any other free alternatives to ST, besides MBAM ?

Oh ok, thanks for the info Paul

Im on Vista now, will try it later on XP. By the way is Spyware Terminator THE best?
    I would prefer a real time protection from malware, like the ones triggered by some stupid ads that automatically load on some webpages
    BD does prevent it, but are there any other free alternatives to ST, besides MBAM ?
    Well, first, ST does provide real protection, second, I consider it one of the best but that doesn't mean someone else will. That said, you can try SpywareDoctor by PC tools, although not sure on the real time and removal for the free version, then there is Spybot and Adaware, both which I used completely until they became hogs but you can try them and see how they work for you and once again, not sure on the limits of some of these.

I suggest looking at this list on Snapfiles...

Code:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwantispy.html
    User opinions and such are typically very good there.

Cheers,

Paul

Actually Spyware doctor free version just DETECTS and does NOT remove what it finds.Whats the use huh?
    I will try ad-aware and spy bot if Spyware terminator doesnt work out

I used Spybot, Adaware, and Spywareblaster long ago. Gave up on Adaware when the bloat all but drowned it (I was a beta tester). Dropped the other two finally and settled on MBAM and HiJackThis (occasionally). Eventually I settled on commercial firewalls, AV, and anti-malware. (OT)

Gave up on Adaware when the bloat all but drowned it (I was a beta tester).
    Same here When it was a light program, it was great at what it did, likely the best at one time, then the bloat, horrific scan times and worse detection rates.

RE: FREE Anti Spyware apps / tools

Another interesting security is RUbotted. What is it? It scans your pc for odd behavior and communication to see if your pc is part of a bot net. May be a great idea to try this one, I know i'm going to.

Happy spyware hunting
    I tried RUbotted and wished I hadn't. Took a very long time to install on an XP Pro machine, and slowed normal functions down to an unbearable crawl. It even deleted my desktop wallpaper!
    Had to boot into Safe Mode to run Revo Uninstaller, jv16 Power Tools, and CCleaner. Revo reported about 175 entries.

Dunno why it behaved like this, but I won't use it again. ymmv. imo.

Ron

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast