Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FREE Anti Spyware apps / tools

FREE Anti Spyware apps / tools

Ok, while Anti Virus and Firewall or malware tools, Root kit tools, are all the rave, what about your Anti Spyware tools? Lately I have seen all over the internet, this breed of protection getting left behind and it shouldn't. Why? While many spywares aren't considered as malicious as the big hitters and many can be easily dealt with, they do have the ability to let in all sorts of baddies and leak out information. The reason I say this is due to a lot of the older generation playing and downloading games which lead to numerous spyware type entities on their system, slowing it down, allowing for other intrusions, etc... and so I compiled a list of FREE or FREE VERSIONS of tools so the Anti Spyware apps get a bit of time in the spotlight.

My first pick is Spywareterminator. While in the past, previous owners of Crawler used this app for mischievous purposes, over the last few years, it has become one of the best FREE anti spyware protections out there.

The free SpywareBlaster...
    While you may have heard others say, "What? It doesn't do anything!", that is because it puts up a barrier against things getting on your system to begin with and does no foreground running or scanning like others. So essentially, yes, it does nothing but protect you from intrusions and along with scanners, this makes an excellent edition to security.

Another interesting security is RUbotted. What is it? It scans your pc for odd behavior and communication to see if your pc is part of a bot net. May be a great idea to try this one, I know i'm going to.

The rest, and just because I didn't write on them, doesn't mean they are any less, just that the list can be too numerous and that I am not very knowledgeable in their workings.

And for a huge list, go here....

They have a very complete list of goodies to protect yourself.

Happy spyware hunting

Avinash Guest

Re: What about me?

Thanx PChammer for the great list.

I got just a bit confused when i saw the title of the post and I was clueless till i opened the thread.

So what was in your mind when you made the title??

Re: What about me?

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash
    Thanx PChammer for the great list.

I got just a bit confused when i saw the title of the post and I was clueless till i opened the thread.

So what was in your mind when you made the title??
    LOL. Well, one, to grab attention, and two, because even on many sites, blogs, customers and tech repair shops, I hear about mainly two things, Anti Virus and Firewall which of course is great but there are a lot of things that can roam the PC that go on oblivious due to not getting the attention and that I have found to be dangerous on many computers. People used to know what anti-spyware was, now they ask, what is it? I then remove numerous spywares that are not caught by AV and others and have in the last year realized, with all the emphasis on major threats, these others are getting left behind and do pose a substantial risk.

Avinash Guest

Re: FREE Anti Spyware apps / tools

Changed the title mate and moving to Software discussion forum. :P

Changed the title mate and moving to Software discussion forum. :P

Ok, lol. Definitely better fitting

I see that a really good one is missing here.
    MALWARE BYTES.
    I was using it a few years ago on my old HCL desktop, forgot about it before Paul reminded me a few days back.
    Now im using it on my HP Compaq and a custom made desktop.

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin
    MALWARE BYTES.
    I was using it a few years ago on my old HCL desktop, forgot about it before Paul reminded me a few days back.
    Yup, malwarebytes is a great one too. Even i had forgot that when i wrote a similar post.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin
    MALWARE BYTES.
    Now im using it on my HP Compaq and a custom made desktop.
    Hi ashwin,

Actually, I didn't forget Malwarebytes it's just that it's already widely talked about while a lot of others seem to be getting less attention due to the "heavy hitting" type infections as I mentioned. Really, malware is anything that is harmful or intrusive and MBAM does fit the bill, but once again, I have ran specific others like Spywareterminator after an MBAM scan and found a few smaller, less threatening infections on computers and run into that quite often which leads me to my opinion that not one can do it all and we still need some good, specific scanners out there. Besides, I created the icon for MBAM, so I couldn't forget it

Avinash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PChammer
    Besides, I created the icon for MBAM, so I couldn't forget it
    Yes, may be many don't know that you created that icon.

Yes we do need more than one app as no one can be 100% perfect. Hence they can be run as a supplement to each other as and when required. :P

Quote Originally Posted by PChammer
    Besides, I created the icon for MBAM, so I couldn't forget it
    LOL. yep, bad joke there. There are many other good security apps out there I didn't mention either just because there are too many but if I come across some new ones that look promising, I will list them here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast