Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any freeware app to download driver updates?

Any freeware app to download driver updates?

I am looking for a freeware app to download driver updates.

Currrently using driver-max free version which has an annoying limitation of downloading just one driver per day.

Anyone out there using a better freeware driver updater, which supports Win XP SP3?

I am still to find a better one than driver max

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    I am still to find a better one than driver max
    Oh too bad.

How is Device Doctor?
    Code:
    http://www.softpedia.com/developer/Device-Doctor-Software-Inc-60499.html
    Softpedia review
    Code:
    http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Device-Doctor-Review-128492.shtml
    I have found this useful.
    Device Doctor is a freebie specially designed to scan your system’s hardware and check if all the drivers are up to date. If newer versions are available, you will be provided with a download link for the latest driver. Simplicity is the keyword for the program as there are no options present, and no configuration.
    The Good

Device Doctor is as simple as a single-windowed application featuring a single button that triggers the scan and individual download buttons for each update detected.

All driver downloads are free of charge and you can update as many of them as you want, as often as it is necessary, without any restriction.

For the users less accustomed with driver installation procedures, the help file in the application explains the entire process plain and simple, to eliminate any doubt. On all the systems we tested the application on, scanning took just a few seconds to finish.

The application also comes in portable format, letting you carry it to any computer and check for driver updates.

The Bad

Being such a simple program has its disadvantages. One of them is that you have to manually create a restore point before installing the driver updates. Not many users are accustomed with this feature (although on the driver download page, you are provided with links to tutorials showing the steps to create a restore point in both Windows 7/Vista and XP).

Device Doctor detected that updates to only a few devices were necessary, although a closer verification with different tools revealed that more components were in need of driver updates.

The Truth

Device Doctor is still at the beginning of the road and has plenty of features to add in order to expand its functionality. Currently, it is not recommendable to beginner users or those without knowledge on driver version verification and compatibility.

User feedback is welcomed by the developer, this being the main form of improving the application. All its services are absolutely free of charge, so enhancing its accuracy when providing driver updates is a purpose attainable largely through user community.

Thanks Sujay, but I have already tried Device Doctor a year back, it is a bit buggy.

Hi Try SlimDrivers,

You can also use from them slimcomputer and slimcleaner

Quote Originally Posted by ha14 View Post
    Hi Try SlimDrivers,

You can also use from them slimcomputer and slimcleaner
    Thanks for the info currently using device doctor, will try Slim drivers soon

I was looking for something similar last week and was advised to try DriverMax. It is free but you have to register for the free key. I haven't used it yet so can't rate it but it should give you a further option. It works with XP and Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by djwatford View Post
    I was looking for something similar last week and was advised to try DriverMax. It is free but you have to register for the free key. I haven't used it yet so can't rate it but it should give you a further option. It works with XP and Vista.
    I have mentioned driver max in the first post of this thread, nevertheless thanks for posting your opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast