Thread: Questions on KIS2011

Question Questions on KIS2011

Yes friends, finally today I was able to successfully install KIS2011. I had Fsecure-IS2010 before this. On previous attempts KIS2010 had failed to install.

Now after spending a good amount of time on the settings, I'm still looking for few answers:

1. How to make KIS ask me what to do for every detection
    2. How to make KIS ask me what to do for every application that loads
    3. How to make KIS ask me what to do for every application that tries to connect to internet.
    4. My utorrent upload speed has decreased to half upon installation of KIS..
    5. Some sites/blogs are not getting loaded in Mozilla

I have the following modules disabled:
    1. proactive defense - would u recommend enabling it?
    2. Mail Anti-Virus
    3. IM Anti-Virus
    4. Anti-Spam
    5. Anti-Banner
    6. Mozilla plugins - KIS installed 2 things.

Also I do have MBAM pro (which I won here on the blog) running along with KIS2011.

Well, long list of queries. I will try to answer as many as possible.

If you want KIS to ask you for every detection what to do, just go to General settings>>interactive protection and untick "select the action automatically". Also, go to File antivirus>> action on threat ..>> and untick select action automatically.

For every application, just go to application settings>> and untick load rules from kaspersky security network.

Also, you should enable all the modules instead of fine tuning them. I am using it for last 2 years and i will tell you default settings work best without any problems. You should enable all the modules that you have disabled.

I do have utorrent and KIs doesnt make a diff. May be its because you are playing too much with its settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash View Post
    Well, long list of queries. I will try to answer as many as possible.

If you want KIS to ask you for every detection what to do, just go to General settings>>interactive protection and untick "select the action automatically". Also, go to File antivirus>> action on threat ..>> and untick select action automatically.

For every application, just go to application settings>> and untick load rules from kaspersky security network.

Also, you should enable all the modules instead of fine tuning them. I am using it for last 2 years and i will tell you default settings work best without any problems. You should enable all the modules that you have disabled.

I do have utorrent and KIs doesnt make a diff. May be its because you are playing too much with its settings.

Thanks Avi.

I did the following changes as per ur suggestion:
    General settings>>interactive protection and untick "select the action automatically".
    File antivirus>> action on threat ..>> and untick select action automatically [prompt for action]
    go to application settings>> and untick load rules from kaspersky security network.

I'm still not comfortable enabling all the modules....and yes looking for a solution on utorrent speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    Thanks Avi.

I did the following changes as per ur suggestion:
    General settings>>interactive protection and untick "select the action automatically".
    File antivirus>> action on threat ..>> and untick select action automatically [prompt for action]
    go to application settings>> and untick load rules from kaspersky security network.

I'm still not comfortable enabling all the modules....and yes looking for a solution on utorrent speed.

Yes the modules are a bit complicated.

Regarding utorrent there are 3 things that determine speed:

1. ISP throttling: Some ISPs prevent p2p connections, this could affect download speed. ( I dont think this is your problem Grr )

2. Seeds: A torrent must have a greater number of seeds than the number of peers in order to provide good download speed.
    Seeders are the people who have finished downloading the files completely and are "feeding" downloads for others, they sort of act like a server.
    Peers are those who are downloading and uploding at the same time. They download missing files and upload whatever they have

Eg: A torrent with 20 seeds and 10 peers will be faster than a torrent with 10 seeds and 20 peers.

3. Cap your upload/download speed: You must not allow 100% of upload speed, it will actually slow down your download speed.

Read these articles at Gizmo's

Optimizing µTorrent for Speed

Additional µTorrent Settings
    Last edited by Ashwin; 20-06-10 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    Thanks Avi.

Welcome.

you can trust me on that on enabling all modules and you will even forget that you have KIS installed as i do. I only think abt KIS only when my license is about to expire.

Isn't the KIS 2011 still beta or is it now availabe?

Quote Originally Posted by mrm52858 View Post
    Isn't the KIS 2011 still beta or is it now availabe?

No beta, KIS 2011 is out.

See below

This thread was posted under virus/trojan/spyware issues, but since this is actually a query about a security software, I am moving it to the proper sub-forum under software discussions.