Thread: KIS 2010 Activation outside home region

KIS 2010 Activation outside home region

Hi,

I recently bought a 3 user license for KIS 2010 in India and installed 1 license on my home PC. I have hence traveled to Canada and tried activating the remaining license on my personal laptop in Canada. Kaspersky is not allowing me to do the same citing that activation outside home region (region where the software was purchsed) is not permitted. Does anyone know anything on how I can get this to work?

The best Kaspersky support could do was to point me to the website to buy the canadian version.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
    Soumak

Hi Soumak,

Welcome to AvinashTech.

This is quite surprising for me to know about region activation of KIS.

Did u try registering ur license on KIS website by creating ur account to c if it is having some kind of restrictions?

I'm in the US and could help to see if the license could be activated from here.

Also please wait until Avinash is here and could shed more light, as he has been using KIS on his systems from a long time.

EDIT:

Going through Kaspersky forum shows clearly that activation would not work outside the region.

Citing from their forum:

There are regional restrictions. Usually keys intended for use in Asia are restricted to users in that region. Tech support will not be available for users outside of that region trying to use a key for that region and in some cases the key will refuse to install. This is due to the different pricing and support structures in place.
    Last edited by Grr; 08-08-10 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added edit info

Hi soumak,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will enjoy your stay here and contribute too.

NOw regarding Kaspersky keys being region locked, yes they are but only in one way. Its like you can use keys bought from countries like US or Canada to activate them in India but you cannot use keys bought from India to activate in USA.

THe reason for this is quite simple if you see at the pricing structure. In India, KIS is available for mere Rs. 600 approximately that,s just say $13.33. NOw compare that with US price of KIS. Its more than 60$ if you are not getting any discounts. For this reason and to stop guys misusing keys from countries like India to other countries, these keys are region locked.

Same logic applies to other kaspersky products.

Post Thanks Avinash for the clarification ...

Thanks Avinash.

I understand the KIS issue due to the difference in pricing structure. Just very cross that they should have told this to me when they sold it to me, or made it clear in some way on the packaging which mentions nothing on this. May be you can post something on the forum / blog such that people are aware of this.

Anyways, guess I have to suck it up. I have one license remaining which I will love to give to anyone at this forum as my 'forum joining gift' for free. If any of the members mails me on my personal email (soumak.chatterjee at gmail ) I can give him/her a working activation code.

The only restriction will be that the person needs to be from India, or else he/she will have the same problem as me.

Thanks
    Soumak

Quote Originally Posted by soumakchatterjee View Post
    Thanks Avinash.

I understand the KIS issue due to the difference in pricing structure. Just very cross that they should have told this to me when they sold it to me, or made it clear in some way on the packaging which mentions nothing on this. May be you can post something on the forum / blog such that people are aware of this.

Anyways, guess I have to suck it up. I have one license remaining which I will love to give to anyone at this forum as my 'forum joining gift' for free. If any of the members mails me on my personal email (soumak.chatterjee at gmail ) I can give him/her a working activation code.

The only restriction will be that the person needs to be from India, or else he/she will have the same problem as me.

Thanks
    Soumak
    Welcome Soumak. Well, here at forum I am one of the big kaspersky fans. So if you want you can give it to me or you can choose if someone else too asks for it. And once again welcome to the forum.

Regarding they not informing you abt this, well there are so many things written in EULA which we never read. But as you said, they should have been more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by soumakchatterjee View Post
    Thanks Avinash.

Thanks
    Soumak

Thanks Soumak for your generous offer. I'm in the US currently, so would skip the offer half-heatedly.

@Avi - how abt running a giveaway for the KIS license from Soumak and putting it on the blog along with the region restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Grr View Post
    Thanks Soumak for your generous offer. I'm in the US currently, so would skip the offer half-heatedly.

@Avi - how abt running a giveaway for the KIS license from Soumak and putting it on the blog along with the region restrictions?
    yes, we can have that but it all depends on soumak.